The old Late steering box into early bay question

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldbuser

Reaction score
Hi, I know this question has been asked many many times but can anyone give me all the details on this conversion?
I have surfed the net till I am cross eyed!
I have seen one post where someone says all that is needed is a late box and yet other posts say you need a late pitman arm and nut. Is there different late bay boxes then?
What about the column does that all fit with original parts or is it a mix and match job?
I will try and photograph all the work I do and post it up as I am sure other people must have the same questions as me!
I am sure someone will now come on and point me to a thread that answers all my questions and I will feel like a right tit!
Any help much appreciated,
Thanks Andy.

According to many people on here it’s gives much better steering. Plus the cost of reconditioned early boxes if all the parts are available. Have I been reading all the threads wrong? Should I stick with the old worn out box???.

vinvan said:
Why are you putting a late bay steering box in an early bay ??????

The design inside is far better, doesn’t wear as much and gives better steering. I’d have done it on mine if I wasn’t able to rebuild mine.

oldbuser said:
According to many people on here it’s gives much better steering. Plus the cost of reconditioned early boxes if all the parts are available. Have I been reading all the threads wrong? Should I stick with the old worn out box???.

Message sparkywig, he has done the conversion. It’s more in-depth than you realise and requires alterations to the chassis. But nothing a decent workshop can’t do. If not speak to Graham Lyall at midland early bay. He recon’s boxes at a reasonable cost

That’s what I thought. Also cost, £250 off Midlands Early Bay (£300 if extra parts required), £500 off Schofields versus £90 for good secondhand late box and a few hours in the garage.

oldbuser said:
That’s what I thought. Also cost, £250 off Midlands Early Bay (£300 if extra parts required), £500 off Schofields versus £90 for good secondhand late box and a few hours in the garage.

It’s a day work minimum to do the chassis mods so you’ll be looking at about £300 for labour and consumables anyway + the cost of a box. Personally I’d go for a recon midland box. Be changed in a couple of hours

I shall be doing all the work myself so total cost will be what I paid for the box, hopefully! (Famous last words).
This is where I am at presently

oldbuser said:
I shall be doing all the work myself so total cost will be what I paid for the box, hopefully! (Famous last words).
This is where I am at presently

Keep the pictures coming :party0021: :poke:

Did this myself a while back. You need a late bay box and pitman arm, as the early arm will not fit the late box.
The hole in the chassis leg will need enlarging and one of the mounting bolt sleeves will need moving.

Tools needed. small grinding \ cutting wheel, welder. Took me a day to complete, steering is much nicer now.

Well I thought it was just a matter of opening the hole up and moving one of the bolt holes. I had read on here that someone said they had to relive the front panel slightly well I had to do that and cut a recess in the panel above it. See photos.

I hope someone doesn’t come on now and say I have the wrong steering box!

All done now though

Made a strengthening plate for the inside of the chassis. All turned out ok just a bit more work than I expected.

I cut out the one bolt that needed moving. Cleaned the spacer tube up and welded it to a new piece of plate.

Nice work, I’m still looking into this as my current steering box is only slightly out. Is that a cut into the front valance? [emoji848]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yes I relived the bottom panel with a suitable hammer! Then had to cut, then box in, part of the panel above it. All seems good now but I just wondered how people had managed to fit the late box without this work?

Excellent work, thank you for taking the time to take and share the images, I am sure it will help others and it is interesting to learn together. :popcorn:

oldbuser said:
Yes I relived the bottom panel with a suitable hammer! Then had to cut, then box in, part of the panel above it. All seems good now but I just wondered how people had managed to fit the late box without this work?

Perhaps 1970> buses have a bit more room under the cab floor?
I know the chassis is slightly different after August 1969 (1970 MY).

Yes good point. Maybe someone on here could post some photos of their ‘later’ early buses! It’s interesting to know the little differences but also helpful to others who are going to do the conversion.
Andy.

Latest posts