Increasing engine size

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimVeeW

Reaction score
Hi,

I have tried to look but cant find an answer. I bought the bus a month or so ago and was told its a 1600 single carb but it was a 1300 AB engine and had 1600 pistons etc installed. Can I increase this to a 1641 using the same AB engine unit and just swap out the pistons, cylinders and double carb setup etc.

Will be using it for trips to shows and holidays in France although must admit I am just considering swapping to a bigger engine when the money is available, guess I know the answer already lol Cheers Jim

That really is a mahoosive type of question, almost on the same level as what oil should I use :lol: . Lots of options and lots of engines. ;) Anything that’s original is worth consideration, anything that’s repro is a lot less so and that’s the prime reason that a lot of peeps are shoving scoobies up their jacksie’s because the replacement parts are a continuing source of let down.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, tough decision time contestants :mrgreen:

The difference in capacity between a 1600 (1584) and 1641 really isn't worth spending money on just for the sake of it. It'll gain you about a moped worth of power at most.

There are better ways to increase power on a 1584, such as twin carbs, for similar outlay.

Alternatively, save up a lot more and get something much larger - it's what I'm planning on doing, longer term :)

Thanks guys and yeah, will save the penny’s and go for something bigger, probably a 1911 or something!

Mild 1776 works well for us. Fully loaded westy, air awning, mountain bikes and all the kit(van full) goes very well and copes with hills

If you want something for touring I suggest you save the penny’s and get a stroker built. Something like a 1904 or a 1955cc, with a mild cam, nicely ported heads with conservative sized valves and twin carbs like 36’s or 40’s. Built right it will make 100-110hp and have lots of useable bottom end torque.

I know 110hp doesn’t sound a lot but that double a 1600 and the extra torque of a stroker transforms a bus

Hi guys, thanks for the advice, I like @K@rlos suggestion and decided to save for something like that spec 👍

This is 1 we did last year.

1968cc, 92mm pistons & 74mm crank
Full flow oil system with filter and external cooler
Engle w110 camshaft, with 1.1:1 rockers on bolt up shafts
Hand ported 043 heads with stock size stainless valves
Twin Weber 40 IDF’s
Bosch 009 with Petronix
Vintage speee exhaust (annoyingly)
All dynamically balanced and blue printed for longevity

Made 124 horsepower and 157 ft ib of torque
Not a drag strip monster but drive has plenty of useable power from idle and will pull to about 6000 rpm if you want to be immature lol. Coupled to a 6 rib gearbox it will sit at 70mph @ 3600rpm all day with plenty of pull left in it

^^^ That's pretty much what I want to complement my 5 speed gearbox. The 1600 manages OK, but more power is always nice...

:)

It’s a lovely combo, it’s easier to drive in traffic than my own stroker. That’s a lot more highly strung and is happier when I’ve got my foot down.

Latest posts