Rust bubble

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejinx

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s been 3 years since my respray. I now have a rust bubble on my drivers door and I would like to have a crack myself. My thought process is if I mess it up I can get it done by a pro anyway so nothing to lose. How do I do it.

Door off
Sanding discs on a grinder? Or sand back by hand
Rust eater
Filler
Sand (how). Wet and dry, grit size etc
Primer (which one)
Paint (how do I get my paint matched in a rattle can)

Cheers

^^that.
Wouldn't expect to be having to do any paint or rust repair on s 3 year old resto

The problem with a rust ‘bubble’ is that the rust has come from underneath the paint. You may find when you rub/sand the paint down you will have a rust hole. If you just fill this it will only come back. Cutting out and welding a repair in, maybe a bottom door skin repair panel will be the only long term solution.

As oldbuser has said there will more than likely have some welding to do. The other thing is what paint to use, I have kept mine original with cellulose paint which I find easy to use. It may be that if it has had a professional job they will more than likely have used two pack base coat and lacquer, and cellulose will just make that bubble.

Latest posts