Advice Please - Just Acquired Stock 1600 Engine....

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zebrafish

Reaction score
Hi All,
I've just acquired a working 2nd hand 1600 stock engine and before fitting into my van, I'd like people's thoughts on what to do by way of a basic refurb of the engine - easier to do now before fitted? The engine hasn't been serviced in a while so could do with a refresh and perhaps going beyond just a basic service - appreciate thoughts......tks.

First thing is to check endfloat and compression. Then remove the rocker arms and retorque the lower headstuds, refit the rocker arms and set the tappets, look for oil leaks specially on the oil cooler as this is e gine out job, so the time is now. Also a good idea is to replace the flywheel seal, spark plugs, oil strainer and oil.

Abel

All the above and also always replace the oil cooler seals regardless and if the push rods seals are leaking change those out too. check and see if you have a single carb, which is fine, see if the heat risers are clear so the intake will heat up properly so it won't ice up. Like the guy above said if the end play is awful you might as well take it apart.

Thanks for the replies, this will keep me busy and appreciate the advice. Along with a couple of manuals, found this samba link really helpful by a guy who rebuilt his stock 1600;

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=451260&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=c739bae0caf1e0e79dfa683330ffba11

Latest posts