Alternative headlight bulbs?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bears Dad

Reaction score
Afternoon...

I’m looking to upgrade my headlight bulbs without faffing with fuses, wiring etc.

I was chatting to somebody at DATC and they recommended a halogen one but I can’t remember the full conversation (beer was involved).

This is what I’ve currently got:

The best option is to use adapter rings to convert to H4 bulbs then you can take advantage of the more efficient Osram nightbreaker/Phillips extreme bulbs.
But if your headlamp reflectors are tarnished you will not get the benefit of even the old tungsten bulbs.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-P45T-R2-H5-to-P43T-H4-BULB-ADAPTERS-OPEL-VW-RENAULT-VOLVO-BEETLE-PORSCHE/282431058041?hash=item41c233f079:g:wc8AAOSwfVhaAs1k

I think you can remove the beam shield caps which clip in front of the bulbs as modern bulbs have them built in.
Can someone confirm?

I did that and passed MOT. Can't remember which possibly both. Jk and Heritage sell halogen bulbs that pop straight in no issues with rewrite etc. I removed beam shields as the new bulbs come complete.

Hubs said:
I think you can remove the beam shield caps which clip in front of the bulbs as modern bulbs have them built in.
Can someone confirm?

Yep that is true. If the bulb has a painted tip, then you don’t need the shields in place. They are to stop drivers from being dazzled by the exposed filament of the bulb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigherb said:
The best option is to use adapter rings to convert to H4 bulbs then you can take advantage of the more efficient Osram nightbreaker/Phillips extreme bulbs.
But if your headlamp reflectors are tarnished you will not get the benefit of even the old tungsten bulbs.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-P45T-R2-H5-to-P43T-H4-BULB-ADAPTERS-OPEL-VW-RENAULT-VOLVO-BEETLE-PORSCHE/282431058041?hash=item41c233f079:g:wc8AAOSwfVhaAs1k

I used these, but the ones Autocraft Engineering sell. They required a bit of tweaking with a Dremel, as firstly they wouldn’t fit into the reflector bowls, and then secondly, the bulb was rotated at the wrong angle. A bit of tweaking and they were all fitted snugly. Definitely worth doing, I went for some Philips bulbs that retain a slightly yellowish, period look, but are brighter than the normal offerings of a cheapo P45t bulb.

Bears Dad said:
I’m gonna have to get the Dremel on the bulb tabs as they’re stopping the plastic connector from fitting on the back.

Yep, I had to do the same! Just make sure that it will all still sit securely after cutting bits off - I’ll see if I’ve got the photos from when I did mine, but I had to have a good think about which bit to trim next.

Latest posts