Losing second gear

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephenf

Reaction score
Hello all,

Had a lovely 1971 Californian early bay sourced and renovated for us by Gary at Coolcampers. Been a bit of an unlucky with a few bits that needed sorting, but all has been good for the last couple of weeks.

One of the things I have been really pleased with is how tight the gearbox has been compared to my camper I had ten years ago. However, yesterday morning it felt like hitting second was a bit iffy, and by the end of yesterday, only about 15 miles later, it was nigh on impossible.

Meant to be driving it up to Sheffield today - 200 miles or so; so questions:

1) is there a simple fix I can do myself
2) will it quickly degenerate or is it safe to take on a four hundred mile roundtrip
3) is there someone up that way open tomorrow who could take a look?

best
Stephen

Our camper - still without a name.
https://www.facebook.com/263043973880475/photos/pcb.822289064622627/822288524622681/?type=3&theater

If it’s getting worse, it could be something that is slackening off. Offenders of that will be the bolts holding gearstick to cab floor causing the shift plate to move (there’s the procedure for how to set it in Bentley, amongst others) or the bolt that holds the rear shift rod cage to the gearbox selector shaft.

If it is either of those and they come completely loose, you will lose all gears altogether, so definitely worth checking them and setting the shift plate as per procedure. Both are easy enough to do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travelled up ok - found a particular knack to hit second when coming down from third.

Any recommendations for someone in South Yorkshire who might be able to take a look tomorrow?

Latest posts