New engine problems. Solved but now a new issue!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nobby81

Reaction score
Hi all
I have just swapped my 1600 for a 1641 ( used not brand new), starts and runs fine until I put my foot down then it starts to lose power. It came with what looks like a quite pack exhaust but the 4 into 1 manifold was fouled by the engine support bar so I have refitted my old standard exhaust could this be the issue? Any ideas? Engine was bought off a respectable company in the ve world and I was told it was set up perfect ready to go and not to mess with anything.( Twin empi 34s)
Thanks mike

I’d get the carbs, timing and valves checked first. Can never be too sure

So the first problem went away when the wife took it for a spin on the motorway and was running great. Nice trip to The beach about 130 miles then camperjam about 150 miles. On the way home from camperjam all was fine until I stopped at the services, didn't want to restart and when it did it wouldn't idle and cut out every time I stopped. It was very hot on the way home but I didn't let the oil temperature go above 110c (the gauge did fail a few times and drop right down before flying up again. Started tonight and idles fine, any ideas please.
Thanks Mike

Sounds like the timing to me Dude.
Is there anyone local to you that can come round and give it the once over?
I've just paid a fella to come and check over my carbs, timing and linkage.
What a difference. Drives and sounds spiffing! (Just a shame I've got to whip the engine out for the third time as I didn't grease my crankshaft oil seal. Lesson learned right there!)

Latest posts