KAYAK ON ROOF?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven’t but I saw two, 2 weeks ago near croyde with one on. One had high roof bars from the gutter rails so must have to remove when they want to pop the top and the second had them fixed into sides of westy pop top. Think I’d feel happier with the first!

The opening section of the Westy roof is perhaps the weakest for this because of the section where the canvas is fitted is minus the vertical bit of fibreglass and you can notice with some Westys that they have a little middle age spread because of this. The hinged end is slightly stronger and don’t seem to suffer quite so much. If it were mine, I’d install a roof bar on or near the hinged section and another roof bar directly onto or into the Westy roof rack area. Downside being you need to peel it off to pop your top. Or maybe a fairly loosish ratchet strap to keep it attached to the pop top when raised just to stop it blowing away in the night. After all , there shouldn’t be too much strain on your pop top when stationary and it’s more of a wind defence. I’d even use the same ratchet that holds it down while driving, release it once you’ve parked up, then immediately reattach to the pop top, then raise your roof. Then let your top down,release the rachet and strap to the roof bar. But I’ve never had a Westy, I’ve seen Tie Dye with a long board and a kayak on her Westy in the states with both roof bars fitted to the pop top.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,Then go looking for waves :mrgreen:

Hadn't thought of that, cheers gents
I'll see how it pans out.

At full warp speed I was worried about losing the roof and boat!

Latest posts