Rear drums on X-Over

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gninnam

Reaction score
Hello all,

Trying to put the rear drums together and appears that it doesn't look right?
I kept the levers from the old drums but just doesn't seem right - what next?

20180621_203649_zps3oirxdod.jpg

Thanks

Top spring goes underneath the shoes (Wheel Bearing Side), bottom spring can go either behind or in-front but i normally fit it behind, handbrake bar should have a clip that attaches to the upper spring and wind your adjusters all the way in or you wont get the drum on. Obviously that's the nearside assembly?

Andy

Thanks.

Problem is, if you look at the spreader bar it is miles away from the shoe so not sure what is what!

Looks like your shoe isn't fully seated in the slave cylinder. The pistons have tapered ends so will only seat against the shoe one way. Again if you wind the adjusters in it will make the distance between the shoes less.

Correct, but even when moved back more still seems wrong.
Will have another play with it tomorrow and see if I can get it to fit better.

Plus i think your handbrake arm is in the wrong hole. From memory they go into the top hole but you will have to check this yourself.

Shoe assembly

Andy

Cheers - appears to be right but you could be right - will dig around.

Just found this - "....these pads have an integral pin to attach the handbrake arm"

I thought this is what the spreader bar connected to so will switch around and see how it looks.

Got it - you were right. I was to low with the brake spreader bar arm.
See pic below:

20180622_183838_zpskzygzusd.jpg

But - how the hell are you supposed to get the spring and cap on the brake shoe retaining pin.........

20180622_185019_zpswgv9o6j0.jpg

Just can't get enough power to push it down enough??

I’ve used some needle nose pliers pointing straight down onto the cap. This allows you to push it down and rotate it to lock it into place. Bit of a twat to do, but once you get the technique, you’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moseley said:
I’ve used some needle nose pliers pointing straight down onto the cap. This allows you to push it down and rotate it to lock it into place. Bit of a twat to do, but once you get the technique, you’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers dude - will give it a go tomorrow :)

Latest posts