[Video] NEW Alternator Fan Wobble, What do you think of this?!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cunning plan

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Clipper / Microbus
I purchased a brand new 70amp alternator conversion kit which came with the oil filler pedistal, backing plates and strap.

I then bought a new fan hub fixing kit to use with my old shims and a used 'wide' 35/36mm fan I had on the shelf.

I put it all together expecting to have that part of the engine build done in 10 minutes and 2 hours later I was still trying to figure out what was wrong with the fan as it had a very noticeable wobble, so there was lots of taking it apart and rebuilding using various combinations of old and new parts in an attempt to identify the issue.

I finally decided that the old fan must be the problem and it must be warped somehow, so I purchased a new 35/6mm fan (one of the £28 ones from VWH).

So that arrived, but there is still an issue with the fan wobbling!! :roll:

I have tried swapping combitions around using the old 'thin' fan, fan hub parts, shims etc, but this video shows the best I can make the fan:

[youtube]wXypgyhki5c[/youtube]

This does not seem acceptable to me and the unbalance would create extra wear on the alternator.

What do you all think? I am starting to think that the alternator spindle is misaligned.

It may sound stupid as the item is new but... have you tried to spin the alternator shaft to check for a bend.
I hope it's not but if it has been dropped before you got it ????????
Thought it might be worth a try.

J & P
:D :D :D

gas1man said:
It may sound stupid as the item is new but... have you tried to spin the alternator shaft to check for a bend.
I hope it's not but if it has been dropped before you got it ????????
Thought it might be worth a try.

J & P
:D :D :D

Thanks but yes, as part of the trying to figure out what the issue is I did take the fan off and watch the spindle rotate and it seemed OK, however I assume even being 0.05mm out on the shaft would be exagerated on the extremes. :|

Davydomes said:
Never tested one - but, have you tried it on your old Alternator/Dyno to compare?

Yes, still a slight wobble, but more what I would assume would be 'expected' from aftermarket parts, nothing like this.

Davydomes said:
Have you run it driven by the belt?

Not yet, but I am not sure what difference that would make, I can spin the front pulley by hand and it has the same result.

Davydomes said:
Even better if you could check the shaft with a DTI.

I do have a Dial Test Indicator, so I can give that a go, good idea.

Davydomes said:
Have you checked the bore of the fan from concentricity and perpendicular to the face?
I am not sure how? :?

So problem solved.... hopefully!

The alternator is from Cool Air and I sent them an email with the video this morning and they have now confirmed that the alternator is faulty, Vince even rang me to talk through the options to find a solution. They are sending a replacement out ASAP so the problem should be sorted!

Good service from Cool Air. :rocknroll:

Latest posts