Anyone know what these clips are called?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cunning plan

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Clipper / Microbus
Circled in blue:

Screen_Shot_2018-06-12_at_14.10.19.png

I am restoring a set of flaps and I am not sure what clips to use.

:sign0009:

As an aside, I want to ensure my flaps are opening properly.
Can you tell me how much they rotate by? Is it 90 degrees?
I may affix a little pointer on the end of one so I can check.
If not I'll just paint one half of the one of the spindles red, so I can see if it is turning correctly when warming up and turning back fully as it cools.

mr scoops said:
As an aside, I want to ensure my flaps are opening properly.
Can you tell me how much they rotate by? Is it 90 degrees?
I may affix a little pointer on the end of one so I can check.
If not I'll just paint one half of the one of the spindles red, so I can see if it is turning correctly when warming up and turning back fully as it cools.

I am not near them right now, but I can let you know when I have cleaned them. :character0036:

I have seen the suggestion of adding an 'indicator / dab of paint' to the push rod to show when the flaps are open a few times now and I think it is a good idea. Apparently you can heat your thermostat with a hair-dryer and watch it work too.

There is some good information here:
http://www.awesomepowdercoat.com/thermostat_flaps.html

sparkywig said:
The clips are available from Heritage.

Thanks, but do you know what they are called or have a link?

I went through hundreds of items using the search term 'Clip', and this was the closest I could find:

https://www.vwheritage.com/n90047001-clip-for-the-bonnet-hinge-vw-spare

:|

sparkywig said:
Don't test the thermostat unless it's in the bracket, otherwise it can expand too much and rupture.

Good point!

Although I think you will be okay to test the newer / redesigned versions:

https://www.justkampers.com/catalog/product/view/id/23802/s/111-119-159-a-thermostat-vw-beetle-1961-2003-vw-t2-split-1961-1967-vw-t2-bay-1967-1979/

I have not installed it yet, but I think I have to modify the bracket so that it is open at the top, so I do not think the new versions can over-expand.

Spring Fastener Metal Plate Car Door Panel Fender Screw U Clips Speed Nut :D
Something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20X-M6-Spring-Fastener-Metal-Plate-Car-Door-Panel-Fender-Screw-U-Clips-Speed-Nut-/181260387427

You can use these
www.vwheritage.com/211259283-accelerator-pedal-linkage-spring-vw-spare
They were the ones used on the single port flaps, it works ok if you cannot find the other style. Good thing is they keep the assembly more tight and less noisy due to the springy style.
Abel

subheatadey said:
Spring Fastener Metal Plate Car Door Panel Fender Screw U Clips Speed Nut :D
Something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20X-M6-Spring-Fastener-Metal-Plate-Car-Door-Panel-Fender-Screw-U-Clips-Speed-Nut-/181260387427

Oo, that is pretty close, thanks!

atafonso said:
You can use these
www.vwheritage.com/211259283-accelerator-pedal-linkage-spring-vw-spare
They were the ones used on the single port flaps, it works ok if you cannot find the other style. Good thing is they keep the assembly more tight and less noisy due to the springy style.
Abel

Interesting thanks Abel, I have already ordered these as the flaps I bought have them on already so I was going to replace them to improve the linkage. So if dual port flaps do not have those springs, that means I have single port flaps! :roll: :?

Do you know what is different about the flaps? Will they fit my twin port / dog house shroud?

Hey Craig :D

The flaps themselves are the same, on the dual port the linkage between the two flaps are different. The SP has only a flat bar with four holes that connects directly to the flaps and it's secured by those spring style clips. The DP(the one you have in the pic) has a bar with two offset bends and two holes, then on each side there is a "T" connector with two connections to the flaps and one to the bar. These use the other type of clips but the spring type can be used too.
One thing about the DP bar; i found two bars exaclty the same but with the hole for the spring in a different place. Make sure the one you have has the correct hole in order to properly tension the spring and open the flaps when needed.
Abel

atafonso said:
Hey Craig :D

The flaps themselves are the same, on the dual port the linkage between the two flaps are different. The SP has only a flat bar with four holes that connects directly to the flaps and it's secured by those spring style clips. The DP(the one you have in the pic) has a bar with two offset bends and two holes, then on each side there is a "T" connector with two connections to the flaps and one to the bar. These use the other type of clips but the spring type can be used too.
One thing about the DP bar; i found two bars exaclty the same but with the hole for the spring in a different place. Make sure the one you have has the correct hole in order to properly tension the spring and open the flaps when needed.
Abel

Thanks for the explanation Abel. :party0047:

The one in the picture above is not the one I have, it is just a picture I found online for reference. The one I have is the 'flat bar' version, which as you say, is the single port one then! :?

As long as it fits, I do not mind adjusting the holes to suit. :character0036:

Thanks for the heads-up, I will have a good play with the flaps to ensure the spring is working as it should. I'll also mark the bar so I know when it is open.

Latest posts