Brake Trouble

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoggyB

Reaction score
This isn't bay specific but I took the old girl for a spin the other day and had a bit of an issue. It has discs up front and when I braked moderately hard, coming to a stop from 25mph, I got a loud bang and the cabin shook. It sounded as though it came from the nearside front.

I thought something had fallen off at first but everything's where it should be and the brakes do still work. I took it straight home and it happened again on the way.

I'm having it towed to a mechanic next week (I don't really trust myself with sorting brakes out!) but does anyone have a theory on what it could be? I was thinking that maybe the brake is sticking then freeing itself and slamming into position, hence the noise and bowel loosening cabin shaking.

Shock absorber mounts?
Jack the bus up and try and move the wheels to check the wheel bearings, shocks, beam and so on.
See if they are both equal when dropped and spin freely
With the weight removed it should be straightforward to spot

Take some pics and upload them here

Based on past experience I would say that your wheel bearing has collapsed. My first foray into bay ownership saw that same thing happen to me, I was merrily driving down the road when there was a similar bang, and than van veered wildly across the road. After stopping, having an inspection (and like yourself, seeing nothing amiss) I was able to set off again, but the same happened about 30m down the road. I was able to limp very slowly into my work car park where I sorted the problem in the week.

There was a clear lack of grease, but this may have been down to how hot it had gotten before it shattered, but more likely was the fact it was over-tightened; as being tapered, they have to be set cold with some noticeable play in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't even consider the bearings, that actually makes a lot of sense. I'll update the thread when it gets looked at.

Anyone experienced with how a tapered wheel bearing system goes together will be able to help out - they are incredibly simple once you see how they go together, and a diagnosis would be very quick. Just don’t drive as there is a risk of it completely falling apart and the wheel coming off altogether or locking up. Mine had gotten so hot that some of the rollers had fused together. Clearly it had been like it a while and I was very lucky to have not been involved in an accident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts