Ignition Key Won't Turn

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magoo

Reaction score
The little one was messing about with the steering wheel pretending to drive. I went to start the engine and turned the key a little to start the engine. For some reason, I started again, but this time the key would not turn at all.

I tried turning the steering wheel to try and 'unlock' and free up the turning, but the steering locked.

So now I can't turn the steering wheel or turn the key. Any ideas?

1970 Bay with Late Bay steering box.

This has happened to me twice and both times I got the key to turn in the barrel with a lot of jiggling it about back and forth, in and out etc First time took around an hour as I had called the breakdown people and, sods law, it freed itself up 5 minutes before they arrived.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Sausage said:
This has happened to me twice and both times I got the key to turn in the barrel with a lot of jiggling it about back and forth, in and out etc First time took around an hour as I had called the breakdown people and, sods law, it freed itself up 5 minutes before they arrived.

Same as ^^^ , the first time it felt like something was seriously jammed and the second time was worse, like a part had broken off and had jammed somewhere. But fiddling and jiggery pokery eventually did it’s magic. Glad I wasn’t stalled on a roundybout as that could have been very embarrassing. Both times from memory were after a period of a couple of weeks absence whereas no probs if I’m out and about all the time.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, another on the ever increasing long long list :mrgreen: :p :mrgreen:

Sausage said:

I'm on my third lots of jiggling. Would the RAC take the steering housing apart? I'm not sure what they could achieve?

I’m not sure that the RAC would be qualified to repair your bus nicely, do you have a garage or repair shop nearby?

Ozziedog,,,,,, don’t think I’d let the RAC near my steering lock (harsh maybe?) :mrgreen:

The van is in a rear car park, I can't even tow it out, so it's going nowhere.

When you both had your key trouble, was your steering also locked? I think this is hampering the jiggling method.

I'm running out of ideas, so hoping that maybe buying a new ignition barrel which could then be fitted.

First you've got to find out what the problem is, so let's do that.

Look up under the ignition and remove the screws holding the ignition housing assembly from the support plate holding it to the dashboard. You may also need to remove fasteners holding a side support bar, then pull the steering wheel back towards you to move the housing off that plate.

Then look up underneath the housing assembly with a torch and locate the screw hole, roughly in the middle- surprise surprise, near the switch. Remove that grub screw and pull the ignition switch off and try the key again.

That'll either solve your steering lock problem and allow you to hotwire the van (if the issue is a broken switch w/parts obstructing movement) or narrow it down to a new ignition barrel/removing wafers from your old one if you're cheap and don't tell your insurance company.

Assuming the latter is true, you'll then have to remove your ignition housing assembly to get the barrel out. horn push gets removed, undo the screws and bits and bobs under there, and loosen (do not remove fully just yet unless you want to smash your face off on removal) the main steering wheel nut. You may have to apply some boiling water to the steering wheel hub to expand the joint and allow it to loosen properly, but you should be able to get the wheel off without a puller. Remove the indicator switch, should be 2 teeny allen headed screws near the stalk. Keep them, they have an unusual head OD.
After that, you should pretty much be able to get the ignition housing out. Do so, then follow these instructions, make sure there are no kids and maybe some telly/beer as it's a little fiddly.

http://www.specialpatrolgroup.co.uk/spooky/barrel/barrel.html

I had the same issue a while ago. I now change my keys every 6 months so that the ignition doesn't get used to the same key. Sounds stupid but if you stay with the same key the lock and key wear together keep changing them and the wear stays even between all keys and the lock.

Just an update, it was a broken ignition switch. Can't believe that a tiny bit of metal and a ball bearing disabled the entire van.

Latest posts