Alternator plate cracked.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lisavx

Reaction score
This is about my beetle and not our early bay but it's still a 1600 engine so thought someone here might be able to help 🤞

We've just replaced the start motor in out 1600 beetle engine. The beetle is 1969 but the engine is 10 years old. After getting him running again, it sounds like a bag of spanners. It had a really slack fan belt which wasn't charging reliably and shims didn't make it any tighter. We replaced it with a 11mm x 890mm v-belt but after investigating have found that the bag of spanners noise is the alternator which is cracked at the front plate and the bearing seems to have collapsed. Could this be that the belt was too tight? We need a new alternator as this one seems beyond a refurb but don't want to end up in the same situation. What is the correct belt size?

Cheers, Lisa 🤙
34e975499a46539d4b582462552d1bd9.jpg
baa196baebd52425996f188e9df23382.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Assume aftermarket pulley? If so, there’s others who have suffered the same fate, and doesn’t seem to be anything to do with the setup, just poor parts quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same happened to me. Pulley cracked went out of alignment. I didn't catch it in time and because it wasn't running true. It killed the alternator.

Thanks I didn't realise it was a separate part. We've prised it off and jiggled the alternator shaft and it doesn't seem to have any free play. The alternator has still been charging the battery. If we put a new pulley on, will the gouges in the metal on the alternator affect it's running? Any recommendation on where to get a better quality pulley?

Cheers, Lisa 🤙
55121f11d3d1330b77b855d4d4419a4a.jpg
5397bf070760abe41dae5b9c6bd7aa4a.jpg
f80e86d1fe29d4df1a61ee83c051f4d7.jpg

I’m guessing it should be ok, as it was just the crappy pulley that gave up the ghost. As for the ally swarf from the front rubbage, only time will tell, I think I’d take a chance because it’s not like you’re churning out thousands of horse power. Take a chance and check regularly especially as you’ll probably fit a new belt too because it’s a good time to do it. Check your old belt still fits and is the same size and fold him up under the passenger seat as a get you home spare. Not that I think it would do too much but me being me and all that, I’d let my Henry have a little look at that alternator as well, then I’ve done all I can.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, fold it in circles though :mrgreen:

Another lesson learned the hard way. i hope i am not teaching you to suck eggs. now you have pulled the item off the alternator, notice there is a woodruff key sat on the alternator shaft, half moon thing. This comes off (i know who would have thought it) make sure its in place when you put the pulley back on or you will have charging problems. Another tip is don't take the pulley off over a grassed area and lose the woodruff key. What idiot would do that? ME :msn4:

Thanks everyone for the tips, especially about the woodruff key. Had no idea it was there. Was a bit of a struggle getting the new pulley on without it pinging out, in the end we used some long tweezers to held it in place while we jimmied the pulley on. Just done a 20 mile run to test it and there's a definite lack of clattering now. 🤙

Battery charging normally, job done. [emoji16]

Dude, change your belt if you haven't already. It will be too tight and will ruin your alternator bearings over time. Almost all of the Classic VW suppliers sell this one: FB Optibelt 11.3x912La, I have one on my 1600tp and its fine. Its best to get as wide as possible that will fit in the groove of your pulleys. I would prefer to get a branded one but there don't seem to be any out there. Steer well clear of the 'Gates' belts listed for Type 1 engines on eBay. They are the wrong angle on the 'V' profile and don't fit properly at all so will fail prematurely.
hope this helps
dave

Latest posts