Inverter to run electric 1kw or 2kw fan heater

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jono1968vanup

Reaction score
Hi. I've been looking through past posts on inverters and I haven't been able to find the answers to my questions.
Basically I don't want to rely on my heat exchangers to give me heat to the front of the van. I also want to fit J tubes instead.
Id like to be able to use a 1 or 2 KW 240v electric fan heater which I would only have switched on via a suitable inverter while my engine was running.
I read an article on line that mentions the size of your alternator. What I cant find is the maths to calculate what size of alternator I would need to ensure that I can power a fan heater without detrimental effects on my battery whilst running.
I currently have a 55amp alternator fitted. I know that there are 75amp alternators available but have no idea if I need to upgrade to the 75amp.
I do hope the above makes sense and somebody out there can offer me some advice on the way forward.
Thanks
Jono

Ohms law 2000 watts or 2kw ÷12v = 166 amps so even with a 160 ah leisure battery you would only be able to run said 2kw heater on full for one hour! So even using a 75amp alternator heater would need to be off for over 2 hours to recharge battery then on for an hour! Better off with a diesel night heater or propex! Or eberspacher Petrol heater!

As per Bullet Tooth's response, I'm afraid. you can use a 1kw fan heater with an electric hookup on a campsite, but trying to run it off a leisure battery is a mug's game. For when you're off-grid, you've got the following options:

-Light hobs. Effectively free, might die of CO poisoning/fire.
-Camping Gas heater. £30/thereabouts, same downsides as the above.
-Propex- Runs off gas, perfectly safe if fitted, serviced and used properly, 2kW output and reasonable battery life. About £200 second hand or what- £500 new? Take a look on VWH.
-Eberspacher- Runs off petrol/diesel, same details as the propex, you'll likely be looking at about 2kw output but you can get bigger ones. Same cost roughly second hand, more new (£800 or so?)
-Alcohol- Fairly cheap, fun at first, can become an issue in prolonged winters. Need to wee a lot.

Latest posts