Soundproof material on roof more trouble.......

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandy71

Reaction score
Hi,

I’m almost ready to install my TMI headliner in my 71.

My question is,

Is it a good idea to use soundproofing material such as Dynamat or silentcoat to the roof before the headliner?

I’m concerned that if it ever becomes loose it could cause a nightmare and would it make a real difference anyway??

I’m gunna use this material on the rest of the bus, but not sure it’s worth the risk with the ceiling.

Anyone got any experience or thoughts on this??

Thanks

Do you have a preference to which product to use?

Leaning towards Dynamat but is it worth the extra cost?

Dynamite isn’t worth the extra, silent coat is really good stuff, have put £120 worth. In my van so far, feels and sounds solid now!!

sparkywig said:
Sandy71 said:
Thanks

I've used bitumen flashing tape, does exactly what Dynamat does but at a tenth of the cost.
No issues with adhesion in nearly 10 years.

This^^^^^^^^^ (Same as)

sparkywig said:
Sandy71 said:
Thanks

I've used bitumen flashing tape, does exactly what Dynamat does but at a tenth of the cost.
No issues with adhesion in nearly 10 years.

This^^^^^^^^^ (Same as)

I did use dynamat aswell.... but got expensive!

I used Flashband from Screwfix . Was the cheapest and did the job .
No smell and no problems in 4 years. Did the whole bus.

J & P
:D :D :D

Really?

I am surprised there’s no smell?

I’m thinking maybe silentcoat now, much cheaper than Dynamat but still made for that purpose

It’s beginning to sound like a big con this soundproofing😲

The heavier the material, the better the sound-deadening will be. Whilst flashing tape will do the job, you’ll find that dynamat etc are much heavier per area, so no need to apply layers of it to get the same effect.

Given how tinny our buses are, any sort of sound deafening will make a big difference!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahh yes, beginning to make some sense now!

I’ve always been a believer of ‘u get what u pay for’ but if I can achieve 80% with one product and have to spend 5 times more to improve that then maybe I’ll draw the line.

Silentcoat ‘extra’ is 4mm, twice the thickness of the standard 2mm product. I thinking of using this now.

I won’t know the results for a while as my bus won’t be leaving my garage for the foreseeable 😡😡 still got loads to do!!

Thanks for that Daisybay, I can’t make my mind up anymore!!

Thought I’d decided but gunna go with Dynamat now on the basis that it’s as good, if not better than all the alternatives. It might cost me a touch more but I’m getting used to that now😂 😂

Don’t want to cut any corners and as Daisybay says, no regrets

I always thought it'd be good to know which parts of the van the most noise comes from and do them first.

We went with quickroof from eBay. It was recommended by Chris Vallone at classic VW bugs. Easy to fit. Cheap compared to dynamat and delivered good results. No smell and we fitted it to the roof in small pieces before fitting the ply headliner. You only need small patches on the doors and roof to deaden the vibration. But we completely covered the engine deck and under the rock and roll bed for maximum effect and didn't feel we had to skimp as it was cheap compared to dynamat etc. Ours has been on 18 months with no issues. 🤙

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Latest posts