Notched Chassis

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuster

Reaction score
Hi all

I have a ‘71 bus that is a bit of a resto job. It is from California and has decent body work and chassis.... apart from 1 thing! The chassis has been C notched at the rear to go low. I understand in the UK this attracts all sorts of complications with MOTs etc. I’d like to put this back to a normal chassis and remove the notches as I’m not a fan of going that low anyway. Going to talk to a few shops to get this done- but interested in any thoughts and experiences of chassis notching in the UK? The bus is a bit of a rescue case but in good condition. Just needs this notching reverse which I then hope will comply with MOT and VOSA law.

Loads and loads of buses running big notches, tubs and raised engines with transmissions on the UK roads legally and with a MOT - just as long as the notches are safe and well done you shouldnt have an issue getting the relevant paperwork to use on the road.

HI- Yes, you are right- there are obviously loads running notched chassis! It is a bit of a grey area though as far as I can see. Mine is not notched at the front- only at the back. It has also had an MOT with it being like this- but what makes it legal without having to have an IVA test? What would the 'relevant paperwork' be? She has a notched chassis at the back, and a narrowed and lowered beam at the front. As I understand- if you alter a chassis, you can then be required to have an IVA test etc.

I would happily keep her notched if I knew it was legal, had 'paperwork' and above all it was safe (I have a young family!).

Stuster said:
HI- Yes, you are right- there are obviously loads running notched chassis! It is a bit of a grey area though as far as I can see. Mine is not notched at the front- only at the back. It has also had an MOT with it being like this- but what makes it legal without having to have an IVA test? What would the 'relevant paperwork' be? She has a notched chassis at the back, and a narrowed and lowered beam at the front. As I understand- if you alter a chassis, you can then be required to have an IVA test etc.

I would happily keep her notched if I knew it was legal, had 'paperwork' and above all it was safe (I have a young family!).

Agreed - according to the letter of the DVLA rules it needs a (basic) IVA - so technically isn't the vehicle it is registered as.

No experience of putting one back to standard, but it shouldn't be too tricky for any decent bodyshop to do - I'd be looking for one experienced with welding repairs on classic cars :)

Latest posts