Missing tinware piece

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moseley

Reaction score
Hi folks, so I’m in the process of sorting out my tinware and found an odd piece that seems a bit homemade. In the pic below, you can see the gap. Every pic of aftermarket tin I’ve found, this gap doesn’t seem to be present. What is missing from this gap, and does it have a name if so?

e83cc6ec397725564bdf3dfca3f2e81b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s a genuine vw bit that has been buggered about with by the looks of it. You can get tin new which has all the pre heat and heat exchangers holes deleted which seems to be what you need. The Scat tin from RJ Volksperformance is a fantastic fit and will fill the gap by the pulley. It’s called front tin

Yeah, as K@rlos has said that's been cut.
One more small issue- the tinware you've got behind the pulley is for the earlier dyamo/alternator stand. Those have a seperate oil breather pipe running down through the hole you see next to your dipstick tube. You can block it off or replace the tinware below the pulley wheel, or change to the earlier stand- but since you're in the area I wouldn't just leave it.

Just out of interest my tin looks similar to yours and it’s actually my pulley tin that covers that gap. Although I can’t say where my tin has come from but I’m in the process of replacing it piece by piece with as much original tin as I can.
This is my pulley tin
b0782e422a742ccd12117ebe8501e97b.jpg

And this is my front tin similar to yours
ecbc7ccc5f2dc7f6fa323b56a141d966.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts