funny wiring gremlin linked to indicators

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andymac0143

Reaction score
Hi all,

On returning from our holiday on Sunday we hit a strange issue with our 1972 T2 Bay westy (1700cc)

My rear right indicator bulb has failed so the left indicator was flashing quickly at the front (fairly normal due to bulb going I guess). All of a sudden after driving for some time I pressed the indicator stalk down to turn left and indicators stopped working, charge light on dash came on and tacho and some other gauges stopped working. Van still ran fine and battery appeared to still be charging as well. Oh and I had a trailer attached too, but shouldn't affect it I don't think...

I turned it off at the services and let it cool. Came out to fix it after having some food and it fired up fine and all gauges ok again. The minute I put an indicator on (pressed the stalk) it happens again.

Any ideas? No doubt something simple... Before I start the task of trawling through the electrical checklist I thought I'd see if by the description someone knew exactly what it was...

Plan is (if no response) replace bulb, try it, check fuses, try it, check earths behind dash, try it, check earths in engine bay, try it, check wiring behind dash, try it etc...

Latest posts