Late bay steering box conversion.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinga

Reaction score
Hi all.
Seen an early bay for sale with a late bay steering box conversion. I assume this has been done as there is less play/wandering in a late bay as an early bay box.
Just wondered what was involved in doing this conversion and how easy/ hard a job it is.
Thanx.

All of that plus you got a much better chance of finding a late bay steering box. I think I’ve seen two done, not too much cutting but can’t remember if you needed a bracket or maybe a template then some tube to strengthen the cut area.

Ozziedog,, ,,,, I’m sure Wiggy has one. :mrgreen:

I have also done this. Can be done in a day. Need to make the hole slightly larger and reposition the bottom bolt tube. Well worth it!

I am very interested in this conversion aswell - is that all there is too it - repositioning the bottom bolt and guide tube? - i `ve heard of an adaptor being used?

Thanks, MIke

mike.s said:
I am very interested in this conversion aswell - is that all there is too it - repositioning the bottom bolt and guide tube? - i `ve heard of an adaptor being used?

Thanks, MIke

I think the adapter is for the different bolt locations and maybe a spacer to save collapsing the chassis as well but it’s not a biggy ;)

Ozziedog,,,, , .but I stills got muscles :mrgreen: ;) :mrgreen:

I ended up doing the conversion - all i changed was the steering box itself. everything else just bolted up.

i had to relocate one of the bolt pins in the chassis and slightly enlarge another one, then weld it all.

Oh - I had to buy a Dremel aswell do I could make the main hole slightly bigger reasonably neatly!

Here`s the one pic i took halfway through -

IMG_20180321_205847.jpg

I don't I'm afraid as my camera is a bit crap do I didn't take any - normally take loads!

If you do a site specific image search on Google like this -

Site:www.thesamba.com late bay steering box convert

Then a few pics come up

Latest posts