Copper brake pipes

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejinx

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am renewing my front brake pipes and someone has told me you can no longer use copper. The pipe i have is pretty new, is it ok to use? Is it an alloy or is this guy Bull****ing

As long as copper brake lines are well clipped/attached they will be fine - only an issue they can move and work harden, then snap.
Kunifer is the alternative which I think is a harder Cupro-nickel alloy compared to copper

cheers butty, i will stick with the copper i already have. Problem is this guy has the flaring tool and being a tool he wont lend it. Half hour job is now going to take me a week until i get down to my other mate, I could buy one but it would end up gathering dust.

Copper isn't used on production vehicles, due to the work hardening issue. This is more of a problem for vehicles with ABS, due to the pulsing effect that can cause on the pipes. However, it does mean that the standards controlling these brake pipes- DIN 74234 & ISO 4038- only relate to steel double-walled (bundy) pipe, and Cunifer pipe.
Using anything else is TECHNICALLY deviating from design (OE was bundy tube, probably to SAE J527), and if this work hardneing does occur and causes trouble, you'll have nobody to blame but yourself ;-)

Ive used copper for years and never had an issue or comment by the mot inspector - easier to use as its softer

cool. In fact as i remember the garage that does my MOT made me a line for my rear brake last year out of copper. watched him make it and thought that was a piece of p*** i can do that. Hence me making my own now.

thejinx said:
:shock: :shock: now your scaring me!! so should i not use it?

I'd probably use it on my own car, but I wouldn't recommend other people do. Does that make sense?

This is a bit dramatic, and is unlikely to happen, but it is possible, technically & legally. If you use copper brake lines on your car, and they crack, you lose brake pressure and crash into someone- you could end up without insurance. It's a non-oe modification, which has not been bought into by any of the standards which control brake pipes.

MOT testers won't care as long as it's functional at time of test. They're not engineers, they're mechanics following a set of rules. Nothing wrong with that, but they can't & won't guarantee safety on a non-original modification.

So weren't OG brake pipes on our buses from the 70's made from copper?

StuF said:

Steel, I think. Bundy tube, which is flat steel wrapped around itself twice to make a double skin, and brazed. If they were made from copper, they wouldn't have rotted ;-)

Happystamps said:
StuF said:

Steel, I think. Bundy tube, which is flat steel wrapped around itself twice to make a double skin, and brazed. If they were made from copper, they wouldn't have rotted ;-)

haha - every day is a school day 8)

Great advice on using cunifer pipe Just wish I hadn’t bought a coil of copper pipe

Latest posts