Bolting engine to an engine stand

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moseley

Reaction score
Evening all, I’ve recently bought an engine stand to make routine maintenance a little easier when the engine is out of the van without really thinking too much about mounting it. However, once built, I’ve quickly realised that the gearbox mounting holes look worryingly weak to take the entire weight of the engine. Are there any gadgets out there that people use for our getting our engines on a stand?

Picture of stand for reference:

e2ac9ff69c7df3a03e97bc19c7b031f9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a stand like that and don't use the flat plate with the adjustable bolts. Never worked it out.
So what I did was , borrow a 3 arm yoke from a mate that fits into the top round tube and voila.
They don't tell you these things before hand , it's a case of Live and Learn i'm afraid.
3 arm yoke is available on Ebay and other stores. Have fun.

J and P

You need an additional yoke to support a flat four engine, engine stands are designed for "normal" engines.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Camper-Beetle-4-Arm-Engine-Motor-Stand-Yoke/263497673116?hash=item3d59af699c:g:vRUAAOxy--NRtOJq

That'll learn me for not paying too much attention to how to mount it! Looks like I'll invest in one of those yokes - looks a sturdy bit of a kit and no doubt will come in useful again in the future. Thanks for the input.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Be careful with the yokes for sale on ebay as mine was badly misaligned, won't fit with tin, etc. Had to re engineer the whole ting to make it work. Very sturdy though.
What i did on another stand is to bolt a Bus belhousing to the flat plate, that works fantastic😉
Abel

atafonso said:
Be careful with the yokes for sale on ebay as mine was badly misaligned, won't fit with tin, etc. Had to re engineer the whole ting to make it work. Very sturdy though.
What i did on another stand is to bolt a Bus belhousing to the flat plate, that works fantastic[emoji6]
Abel

Any idea or link as to which you bought off eBay? Can’t say I like the look of the Empi ones - they don’t look sturdy enough with just the two arms and flimsy end brackets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think my engine stand is the same and no issues!
Here it is with the gearbox connected:
20150201_150252_zps1ac00361.jpg

And with the engine on it:
20150306_181437_zpsarfxy6dr.jpg

Hi
I got one of these off ebay, think it was about £40
You can get to the flywheel easy, the sort you have its near impossible

Hope this Helps

gninnam said:
I think my engine stand is the same and no issues!

And with the engine on it:
20150306_181437_zpsarfxy6dr.jpg

Yep, I have done the same thing, although I could not get one of the arms to locate with the bolt hole on the back of the case, so I have had to make up a bracket / extension for one of the 'arms' on the stand.

Vinvan - I have not got a picture right now, but ask me if you need one and next time I am with the bus I will take one for you.

cunning plan said:
I could not get one of the arms to locate with the bolt hole on the back of the case, so I have had to make up a bracket / extension for one of the 'arms' on the stand.

Although looking at it again, it looks like I could have just turned the 'main plate' sideways to mount it without needing to use a bracket as I have mounted it with the plate in the other orientation to gninnam's. :roll: :character0036:

I bought one of those yokes off ebay with the starter bracket attached so you can run the engine on the stand. Great bit of kit and had no problems at all with alignment etc.
Better than faffing about under the bus in the cold working on your engine.
Good luck with it,
DON

This is an image from one on eBay for sale right now at £83!

s-l1600.jpg

How does it lock in place, there are no holes to put the 'locking key / bar' and what is to stop it coming out of the engine stand hole? :shock:

cunning plan said:

s-l1600.jpg

How does it lock in place, there are no holes to put the 'locking key / bar' and what is to stop it coming out of the engine stand hole? :shock:

That's exactly the one i was refering to :shock:
I had to modify the heck out of it in order to make it work. Very sturdy, but needs work to make it functional. At least mine that is.
Abel

atafonso said:
cunning plan said:

s-l1600.jpg

I had to modify the heck out of it in order to make it work. Very sturdy, but needs work to make it functional. At least mine that is.
Abel

Not good for £83! :blowingup:

atafonso said:
What i did on another stand is to bolt a Bus belhousing to the flat plate, that works fantastic😉

I might try this idea, did you literally take apart the bell housing from the gearbox, bolt it to the stand, then attach the bell housing to the engine? :poke:

I used the Empi one and managed to wedge it into a machine mart engine stand. I had to cut a piece of metal tube and put it over the bit that pushes into the engine stand to pack it out a bit, but the Empi one was a study enough piece of kit.

atafonso said:
cunning plan said:

s-l1600.jpg

Abel

I never paid anywhere near £80 for mine.
It fits a Sealy engine stand perfectly.

cunning plan said:
atafonso said:
cunning plan said:

s-l1600.jpg

Abel

Not good for £83! :blowingup:

atafonso said:

I might try this idea, did you literally take apart the bell housing from the gearbox, bolt it to the stand, then attach the bell housing to the engine? :poke:
Yes, i only drilled new holes and due to my OCD i also trimmed the top edges of the metal plate to contour the belhousing😁
Abel

Latest posts