Door card refurb

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mags

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of having a go at refurbing all the interior panels as mine are OG and knackered. I wondered what the difference was with hardboard vs ply panels and is it more cost effective to buy the ready made cards to save the time of cutting out my own? Hardboard or Ply?
I've watched so may Hot rod programmes on TV they make it look so easy! so I'm assuming new door cards, decent quality vinyl glued to foam, sew the pattern on via machine and glue it all to the card and hey presto. I'm sure it's a bit trickier than this but this is the idea right?

Mags

I think they also staple the vinyl to the back of the card for extra security. Use the best quality contact adhesive you can buy, preferably high temp stuff. Good luck and post a few photos of the process and results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used high temp spray adhesive to fit the covers I made but more for holding in place whilst stapling. I then stapled round the back about an inch from the edge using I think 4mm staples in a normal staple gun whilst pulling the vinyl tight. Might wanna check the staple length first. I was using 3mm ply precut panels and I screwed them on so wasn't bothered about clip holes lining up, didn't use original clips. I like the look with stainless cup washers and screws, plus with the foam and vinyl I doubt the original clips would have held. Masonite (hardboard) ones were meant to be more weather resistant but I don't see the issue if you use WBP plywood, and have a good membrane between the card and the door insides. If your paranoid you could always varnish or epoxy the wood before using.

vMgsiaR.jpg

PTeXiMq.jpg

Oh and that's all I did, spray glued vinyl to sheet foam, ran 5 lines of stitching through the entire vinyl, then only cut the vinyl to size just before stapling it to the card to help keep the lines level. Wastes a bit more material but easier to keep the lines straight IMHO. I got someone to do my front seat covers in the same vinyl as the curves etc are beyond me on a sewing machine.

The door cards I bought off ebay were roughly £80 a set. The sheet 3mm ply would have been about £20-30 to do them but I didn't have originals as templates and it saved a ton of time.

Where you buy this on ebay? you know if they sent this to Portugal?
thanks

wood4vans

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-T2-Door-Cards-11-panel-ply-set-Trim-Panels-Early-Bay-68-71/222841528775?hash=item33e263e1c7:g:VAsAAOSwZVlXpjBI

not sure if they ship abroad as the parcel is quite big, give them an email. I cant say if the clip holes line up mind, as mentioned I screwed mine on anyway

Carnt remember if they were the people I got my beetle door cards from but they were a bang on fit and the clip holes lined up perfectly [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, very helpful.
Webbaldo, that looks like a very nice job, where did you source the vinyl and what thickness foam did you use?

Webbaldo said:
wood4vans

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-T2-Door-Cards-11-panel-ply-set-Trim-Panels-Early-Bay-68-71/222841528775?hash=item33e263e1c7:g:VAsAAOSwZVlXpjBI

not sure if they ship abroad as the parcel is quite big, give them an email. I cant say if the clip holes line up mind, as mentioned I screwed mine on anyway

i´m already sent 2/3emails in the past weeks but never received the answer, i´m going to try again thanks :)

Mags said:
Thanks guys, very helpful.
Webbaldo, that looks like a very nice job, where did you source the vinyl and what thickness foam did you use?

Cheers, Vinyl from ebay and foam locally just at a cushion/curtain makers

Latest posts