Carb Querries

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owent2005

Reaction score
Morning all,

My 71 Bay wouldn't start the other day and after going through the checks in John Muir's book, sparks and fuel where there should be (the battery was fine), the book then moved onto the EGR valve, however it stated that my engine does not come with this valve so i called Green Flag.

The very helpful guy turned up and after I told him what I'd done he straight away told me it was probably a sticky EGR valve, he promptly unstuck it and after a blast of easy start I was back on the road.

A while ago I was told that the carb I had fitted was for a Beatle but that didn't really mean much to me at the time.

Here are my questions; Is this a Beatle carb and if so does it really matter? Also what can i do to prevent encountering a sticky EGR valve in future? After a little play this morning I found that the idle cam lever doesn't return when the accelerator is being pressed, should it?

Any advice would be welcome,

Owen

i don`t think you have an EGR valve as that looks like a stock solex to me. The easy start probably just gave it some more umph to get started and once going it was going.

the idle cam you mention is probably the choke cam you`re referring to which should n`t go back whne the engine is cold

cheers, mike

Hi, thanks for the pointers,

The green flag guy said that the valve at the top of the carb was sticking (maybe he just called it the EGR as i'd already mention it) he gave it a clean and sprayed the easy start into the top to get it going.

Is there anything I can do to the carb as I don't won't to rely on using easy start. What is the easy start supplying?

Thanks

Hi from both pictures it looks like the choke needs setting, I've never seen one where the screw is on the top notch and the marker on the choke is so far round.

I agree with hobbo the choke needs setting up I've never seen one set up like that before and I have cocked a few carbs up in my time 😂😂

Thanks, i just left the choke like that after i'd had a mooch and reset it when I put it back together. I'm guessing i need to give the carb a clean up to prevent the recurring issue of it needing easy start to get the engine going?

No particular need to clean it unless it's dirty...

Your choke mechanism is an element on the RHS of the carb, a flap at the top of the carb connected to it, and the stepped cam. There's another bit too, but don't worry too much about that.

your choke element is a coiled spring made of two different metals, and when electricity is applied to it, it heats up. Because of the different metals, it tries to bend as it does so, and tightens the coil. At the centre of the coil is a hook which is connected to an arm on the choke flap pivot. (you can't see this from the outside- it just looks like a disc with a spade connector on it, and maybe a bit of brinding on it)

When the electricity is applied, the coil heats up, which tightens the spring, which rotates the choke pivot and therefore the choke flap or butterfly.

So, make sure you've got 12V at your choke element/choke coil. You can do that with a test lamp or voltmeter. The connector is the only one on the RHS of the carb. If you don't, hook up a wire from your choke element to the positive terminal on the IGNITION coil.

Next, with the engine cold, check how the choke sits. take your air filter off, and pull the throttle arm, then let go. That re-sets your choke.
You want the butterfly/flap in the top of your carb (visible if you look into the carb from above) to be very nearly closed. You can adjust it using the three screws surrounding the choke element- loosen those, and twist the element around until it looks right. Tighten them up again.

Now turn your ignition on and hold your throttle open. Over the course of a few minutes (5-10) you should be able to see the choke open, unti it stands up pretty much vertical. If it doesn't, you've likely got a bad choke element or a seized shaft.
If it does, pop your air filter on again, wait for the choke to close up, and try starting your van.

Thanks for the help,
In the end I took the carb off, gave it a clean, put it back on and now it seams to be running fine.

Fingers crossed!

Latest posts