Running very hot

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ice man

Reaction score
Today my van 1600 twin port. With new oil only made it 25 miles before getting very hot . Had to pull over as the oil light came on . Looking in the engine bay I had white oil smoke coming out of the breather and where you put the oil in . And the oil was thin almost like water !?!?.
After getting recovered home the van starts and runs amazing how do I keep it cool
New oil yes
All tin ware yes
All seals yes
Timing and valves have been adjusted ( could this be the problem) I don't trust the garage that did it
The van runs perfect it just didn't like 55/60 on the motorway any ideas

If you don’t trust the garage thatvdid your timing I would definately recheck this !

I would also check that your vacuum capsule isn't leaking. You have to disconnect the hose from the carb and give it a good suck! If you do this with the dizzy cap off you should see the advance plate move with the points. If it don't move then the capsule is leaking making the engine run retarded, i.e. hot!

Have you taken the alternator/dynamo belt off and span the fan by hand to see if it is free and not blocked?
Maybe post a pic of your engine and we can diagnose something from that? Any chance your oil cooler could be blocked/restricted?

Thermostat/flaps closed ? Timing ? Running too lean ? Fan spinning/loose ? Was it ok before you changed the oil ?

Mechanoid said:
I would also check that your vacuum capsule isn't leaking. You have to disconnect the hose from the carb and give it a good suck! If you do this with the dizzy cap off you should see the advance plate move with the points. If it don't move then the capsule is leaking making the engine run retarded, i.e. hot!

Retarding ignition will cool the engine, advancing makes it hotter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What distributor is it? And what did they set timing at?
Could be running lean, fan belt slipping and what grade oil did they put in?

If all was okay before going to garage just work out what has been change to make a difference. Sounds like you know what is needed to keep it cool. White smoke could have been oil spillage or possible over filling if you have a deep sump. Don't discount a dodgy service item either.

It’s almost always the last thing that you did with the van or modified or changed. Unless you was chasing down a fault. I had it happen to me in my souped up and customised Zafira, (put roof rack on) I’d had an oil leak that stunk as it just was the tiniest drip but would drip onto the zoorst manifold. The guys at CJ motors had fixed it for me several months ago and all was well in the world. I topped up the oil a week back and the very next day the oil leak came back and was leaking onto the manifold again so it was dripping the whole time or so I thought. I call down the garage and Nick takes a look, he looks underneath and says,”There looks like oil everywhere “ so he opens the bonnet and to my horror there was oil absolutely everywhere but no oil filler cap :shock: :? :msn4: :? :shock:

Ozziedog ,,,,,,,,, if only I’d just opened the bonnet :lol: :shock: :mrgreen: :shock: :lol:

My brother did that Ozziedog, he got 80 miles in a volvo before it started to pack up.
Earl, what oil have you used?

Latest posts