Lowing advice for my 1969 Bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mab25715

Reaction score
i have a 1969 Westie, whats the easiest way to lower the front? I know how to do the back but no idea how to do the front. Any advice would be great! Thanks

Im in the same boat at the moment,dropped spindles and an adjustable axle,seems like the best way to go
only problem we both have is we are running drum brakes with wide 5stud pattern,which makes droped spindles more expensive
you could use later dropped spindles which are cheaper and then use wheel adaptors to go back to 5 x 205 stud pattern,but the only problem with this is, it will push the track quite a bit wider on the front

I lowered my 68 a few inches with only beam adjusters. Dropped spindles didn't exist for my bus when I did it, and even if they did the cost is way too much for my budget. So a pair of BUS adjusters (larger beam diameter than Beetles), a pair of shorter front shocks and beam grease, to keep all those leaves well lubed, is all I bought.

My only issue was getting the stack of leaves back in the beam, then I ground one end of the leaves to a mild taper and they went right in. A lot of thought for the placement of the adjusters is needed before you start cutting, but other than a grinder and a welder, no other special tools are needed. It took me a weekend to complete having never done it before.

The easy way is the right way. Here is some light reading from another VW forum of how to get it done. Have fun!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=64301&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

The answer is really ‘How Low’ ? Up to about two inches ^^^thats as good as any and better than most. Any more than that it starts to get expensive. The more expensive it gets, the lower you go , the more the ride quality suffers. Mine is only just about acceptable with T Hous reversed spindles and custom coil overs :msn4: Some think it’s exceptionally cool to take chunks off and have sparks fly up and do a bit of extra grinding, some like high bollicks* and some like new sad dicks* so look very cool when they ‘ lay frame ‘ and drop down when they get there. Looks good but don’t ride as good as stock. :?
Hope that’s not too controversial for the last day of the year :lol: :? :shock: :? :lol:

* Hydraulics
* Pneumatics :oops: ;)

Ozziedog,,,, still have to rethink near some speed bumps :mrgreen: ;) :mrgreen:

vwcanuck said:
I lowered my 68 a few inches with only beam adjusters.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=64301&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

@vwcanuck
If lowering say 2" would there be much difference in ride quality and would the bump stops need to be removed?

zerocool said:
Im in the same boat at the moment,dropped spindles and an adjustable axle,seems like the best way to go
only problem we both have is we are running drum brakes with wide 5stud pattern,which makes droped spindles more expensive
you could use later dropped spindles which are cheaper and then use wheel adaptors to go back to 5 x 205 stud pattern,but the only problem with this is, it will push the track quite a bit wider on the front

Hello. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you both are. The big difference is that I already have some of the parts that I want to use: a pair of dropped spindles for disc brakes with latebay callipers. This will drop the front by at least 6 cm's but will increase the track 1 cm each side. If you want to use the early pattern, then you can add in fact, a pair of adjusters but this will increase the track even more. To avoid rubbing on the inner side of the wheel arch, then you will need a narrowed beam. I guess that a 3 inches narrowed beam will be more than enough for having all the front suspension, even with these "updates", with an almost original track width.
The issue I'm having now is to decide which beam to buy since there are some to choose from.
Sorry for my grammar mistakes. English is not my first language. Cheers!

joaonar said:
zerocool said:

Hello. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you both are. The big difference is that I already have some of the parts that I want to use: a pair of dropped spindles for disc brakes with latebay callipers. This will drop the front by at least 6 cm's but will increase the track 1 cm each side. If you want to use the early pattern, then you can add in fact, a pair of adjusters but this will increase the track even more. To avoid rubbing on the inner side of the wheel arch, then you will need a narrowed beam. I guess that a 3 inches narrowed beam will be more than enough for having all the front suspension, even with this updates, with an almost original track width.
The issue I'm having now is to decide which beam to buy since there are some to choose from.
Sorry for my grammar mistakes. English is not my first language. Cheers!

Yes, I think you have got it pretty much spot on. And yes about adding an ‘adapter ‘ to use Early pattern ‘wide five’ will also add to the the width.
Really the question now is how low will you end up ? Then you will know to stick with a ball joint beam and that is pretty much it’s limit of drop, or go over to a K&L beam and go play with them slam monkeys and cut some grooves into the speedy bumps. :p

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, adictive innit :mrgreen:

Hubs said:
vwcanuck said:
I lowered my 68 a few inches with only beam adjusters.

@vwcanuck
If lowering say 2" would there be much difference in ride quality and would the bump stops need to be removed?

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you Hubs. You'll notice less of a floating feeling at 2", but quality shouldn't be much different. I kept the rear bumpstops stock and removed the fronts while I was working out the height. Just don't do like I did and go driving without putting those front ones back in or you'll hear and feel when you bottom out ...hard! I had to cut (grinder with cutting wheel took care of that fast) a couple of bulbs off the front bumstops.

Latest posts