Just Kampers new empi disc brake kit

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robcod

Reaction score
Has anyone installed this yet?, I gather they have sold a couple of kits already. I experienced total brake failure last weekend and thankfully only down my street so will need a new master cylinder. Made me sweat a bit and want to upgrades to discs. I want to keep the standard 14 inch wheels on my lhd 1970 westy and so have the option of the csp but also now the empi kit. The empi is about £400 cheaper at £700odd but also includes a master cylinder. I looked at YouTube and there was some comments on the brake Caliper quality but looking at the just Kampers pics the Calipers are different and seem like the csp ones. I’m really tempted. Any thoughts, experiences?

There was a thread recently discussing disc brake upgrade options whilst keeping wide 5 wheels. CSP use refurbed calipers, I’m not sure what Empi use.

If it was my money, I’d go for the Fellows Speedshop conversion as you get a nice new set of billet calipers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the quality of the Empi brakes are like their carbs I’d throw them in the bin. CSP’s work alright but vastly overpriced considering they are old Vauxhall’s calipers.

Fellows speed shop is probs the best over kit, albeit expensive but you get billet hubs that accept vw wide 5 & Porsche 5x130 rims, vented discs and Wilwood 4 pot calipers. I only wanted Porsche pattern wheels so I went the slightly cheaper route of Porsche 944 turbo brakes. The Futbus conversion was good but sadly no longer avaible.

Yes the fellows looks the nuts but I spoke to them and it doesn't fit the 14 inch wheels.
Probably going to play safe and go csp and take advantage of the jk interest free finance 😉

I had a look underneath tonight and no sign of a leak anywhere etc a small bit on the master cylinder. Reservoir is still full so I'm guessing something in the master cylinder has failed as I have no pressure in pedal. Any thoughts?

Robcod said:
Yes the fellows looks the nuts but I spoke to them and it doesn't fit the 14 inch wheels.

As they fabricate everything themselves, can they make an adapter or complete hub for the 14"s?

Robcod said:
I had a look underneath tonight and no sign of a leak anywhere etc a small bit on the master cylinder. Reservoir is still full so I'm guessing something in the master cylinder has failed as I have no pressure in pedal. Any thoughts?

I have a brand new 1970 Master Cylinder for sale here if you are interested:
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=75654

I saw that but when I checked my bus it fitted with a different one and needs two connectors on the side for electrics. Fellows didn't offer that they could.
Just brought CSP kit for 14 inch wheels as got a decent discount of at just kampers. Just got to fit it now!

Latest posts