Propex Heatsource 1600 issues

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the DustRoom

Reaction score
So our lovely Dormobile is sitting outside a little unloved as it's bloody freezing due to the Propex heater not working - I'm getting no heat from the engine either but that's another matter.

The heater was giving me the 2 LED flash so I assumed it was the Butane at fault due to the cold but I've just popped a Propane bottle in there and now I get 5 LED flashes.

I've got the list of issues for the heaters but there's multiple potential issues for the number of LED flashes so it's not much help to me.

I'm tempted to swap it for a new HS2000 or the HS2800 but would rather not shell out right now.

Does anyone have any experience with troubleshooting these things or does anyone know where I can get this looked at close-ish to Sheffield?

I'm assuming the 5 flashes is the same on the 1600 as the 1800 so combustion airflow? I had this a lot on my 1800 it can be a few things, blocked pipe (get a hoover on them), incorrect pipe lengths or a problem with the sensor.

In the end I upgraded the air flow sensor to the new one propex now fit (https://www.propexleisure.co.uk/shop/air-flow-sensing-upgrade-kit) and this solved the problem. One thing I noticed on my old sensor was that some dirt had got on to the sensor that I think was the underlying cause. So if a hoover doesn't fix it then I would check the sensor and if it all looks fine think about upgrading it.

Propex are very helpful on the phone so may be able to offer better advice than me :)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I've just been messing about with my propex 2000, bought 8 years ago but not used very much in that time really. I have always had intermittent issues with it, and the fault code was always the 5 flashes. I've often blown up the pipes with an air line or hoovered the pipes as advised by propex. It would be ok for a short while maybe but no real consistency in working still. After searching on google and you tube I but the bullet and thought I'd open it to to clean the sensor fan. They take a bit of opening as mine had been well sealed with silicon. When open it was pretty much as clean as a whistle, the sensor was clean and spun around no problem. Nonetheless I hoovered the unit gave the sensor a wipe and put it back together. I haven't re-sealed it yet as I thought I'd see how it goes in case I need to upgrade the sensor, see above.

I connected the exhaust pipe only and started it up, fired up no problem, ran it for a while. So connected up the inlet pipe which is about 100 mm shorter than the exhaust, tried it and back to 5 flashes?? Gutted. I've fitted my unit under the rear seat on the sloping bulkhead. Where the pipes exit is above the gear box/concertina heater section of the heating system. So to get to clear air there are some bends.

I went back under and pulled off the inlet pipe, tried it again and it worked no problem. So for a short term test I've put a small section of the pipe (approx 100mm long on this, no bends) and it works, even when driving.

Does anyone know if this is not good? There is 500 mm between the end of this pipe and the exhaust as instructed.

If this is what has caused my intermittent starting from day one then I will be pleased to have sorted the problem but a little pissed off that this could have been sorted years ago.

Just my feedback. I'll keep testing it and if not a problem then I'll re-seal the unit and stick with it.

Al

Thanks so much for the help on this; clearly I’m not alone which puts me at ease a little.

I’ll pull it all apart and give everything a good clean and see how that goes - if that fails I’ll open her up and look inside as well but by the sound of it I’ll no doubt get it going once all the pipes are checked, straightened if needed and cleaned up.

I’ll give it a go this weekend.

matt-me said:
I've just been messing about with my propex 2000, bought 8 years ago but not used very much in that time really. I have always had intermittent issues with it, and the fault code was always the 5 flashes. I've often blown up the pipes with an air line or hoovered the pipes as advised by propex. It would be ok for a short while maybe but no real consistency in working still. After searching on google and you tube I but the bullet and thought I'd open it to to clean the sensor fan. They take a bit of opening as mine had been well sealed with silicon. When open it was pretty much as clean as a whistle, the sensor was clean and spun around no problem. Nonetheless I hoovered the unit gave the sensor a wipe and put it back together. I haven't re-sealed it yet as I thought I'd see how it goes in case I need to upgrade the sensor, see above.

I connected the exhaust pipe only and started it up, fired up no problem, ran it for a while. So connected up the inlet pipe which is about 100 mm shorter than the exhaust, tried it and back to 5 flashes?? Gutted. I've fitted my unit under the rear seat on the sloping bulkhead. Where the pipes exit is above the gear box/concertina heater section of the heating system. So to get to clear air there are some bends.

I went back under and pulled off the inlet pipe, tried it again and it worked no problem. So for a short term test I've put a small section of the pipe (approx 100mm long on this, no bends) and it works, even when driving.

Does anyone know if this is not good? There is 500 mm between the end of this pipe and the exhaust as instructed.

If this is what has caused my intermittent starting from day one then I will be pleased to have sorted the problem but a little pissed off that this could have been sorted years ago.

Just my feedback. I'll keep testing it and if not a problem then I'll re-seal the unit and stick with it.

Al
Seems a bit odd,.propex say the inlet should be slightly longer than exhaust to balance the burner

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Hmm, maybe I'll try it around the other way and see if that works too. All i know is it works, which is good, but as stated not fully 100% happy it's right, hence my question if it's not a good idea. I'll give it a bit of time and then call Propex before I finalise everything but clearly there is something in their operation to do with flue routes and lengths. No-one at Propex mentioned this as a possible cause though, as helpful as they have been.

Hi I've just bought a campervan with a Propex 1600 fitted.It all works fine and heats the van effectively.
However I get a persistent cough and feel slightly giddy when breathing in the van with the heater running.
I wondered if the unit needs servicing at all?
I assumed that because of the separation of the combustion gases and the blown air circuit that all I should be breathing in is recirculated air but slightly warmed up so should not cause breathing issues.
I wondered if anyone had any advice at all?
Steve

Many thanks to both of you for your ideas, I will certainly not take any chances.
Many thanks
Steve
:)