Static Timing Question

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owent2005

Reaction score
Hi all,

Im after fitting an electronic ignition but before i get started I have a query about statically timing the engine once the new system is fitted.

The instructions say that the notch in the bottom pulley lined up with the split in the engine case is TDC. They then go on to say that most VW engines are timed at 7.5 degrees before TDC so line up the notch on the pulley with the split in the engine case.

Im confused, is the notch on the bottom pulley (I only have one notch on the pulley) a. the marker for TDC or b. 7.5 degrees before TDC when lined up with the split in the engine case?

Also, if the timing is a little off, i.e. the notch on the pulley not correctly lined up by 7.5 degrees what would be the consequences?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks that article has a lot of info and certainly answers my notch v's 7.5 degrees timing question.

However it forces me to ask another question as it states that it is more important to do the 'maximum advance timing' for dizzy's with an electronic ignition. Have people just done the static timing when fitting an electric ignition or have they done this maximum thingy?

Thanks

Static timing is generally done to get a ballpark so that it will start and run, but absolutely, setting max advance is more important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once running I always time properly with s strobe although the only dizzy I time to full advance is my 009. My bus is running a vac advance with electronic ignition and I still time this plugged at idle.

Thanks guys,

How do i tell the physical difference between the 009 and the SVDA distributors? Everytime I google it i get all sorts of different answers!

owent2005 said:
Thanks guys,

How do i tell the physical difference between the 009 and the SVDA distributors? Everytime I google it i get all sorts of different answers!

Are there numbers stamped on the side of the dizzy ? Does it have a vacuum canister on the side ?

If the answer to the later is yes then it's not a 009

Latest posts