Tailgate only catching with big slam!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsyboy75

Reaction score
Hey guys, anyone had the same issue or know how to fix this one?

I can only get my tailgate to catch shut by really slamming it hard - I've tried removing some of the rubber seal (just a top layer of it) and moving the striker plate out as far as possible but no joy.

Probably a simple fix but any ideas gratefully received!

Cheers

Alex

Sorry, I can offer no help but you are not the only one. Same here, but I haven't dared cutting away on the new rubber.

Take a look at the hinge mechanism, sometimes the bolts that hold it all together elongate in the holes causing the the hinge to move out of true thus making the tailgate out of true

Your outer skin may have bulged, essentially pushing the lock further from the strike plate.

Sorry - no suggestions, but just a 'me too'. I've got a suspicion that it's down to wear in the lock itself, so no amount of adjustment will solve it. I'm on the lookout for a new lock mechanism, to try that.

I had that on one of mine with a new seal in , it got better after time!!!!
But I also stripped & greased the mechanism & trimmed the back of the new rubber before bonding it in again!

Latest posts