High beam problems

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montypsx

Reaction score
Hi all slight problem with my high beam. If I pull the stick to flash it flashes ok and I can hear the relay however if the lights are on and I pull the stick to put high beam on they won't stop on just flash but again I can still hear the relay clicking.

I've had the switch apart and can't find owt so is it the relay.

Cheers phil

Here's what the innards of the relay look like:

attachment.php

So there's nothing wrong with your dip switch, if the main beam flashes.

You've either got a problem with your relay, or there's a problem with the black and white striped wire that feeds into terminal 56 on the relay from the terminal 56 on your headlamp switch. Trace that wire to see if it's live when you've got your headlamps on, both at the headlamp relay, and at the headlamp switch. If it is, then you need a new relay. If not, then further investigation is needed......

Hi thanks for the reply. One question ...........where is the relay 😂 I can here it but can't see it. Is it behind the fuse box mines a 71 right hand drive if it is do I have to remove the fuse box if so how do I do it .

Thanks phil

The relays all plug into the fuse box. You've got a few screws to remove, and then you can lift and swing the fuse box out to get access to them.

If it's a white plastic fuse box, be VERY careful. They are well known for falling to bits in your hands.....

Yeah it's white and I'm heavy handed so I'll problerly end up needing a new one 😩 Lol

montypsx said:
Yeah it's white and I'm heavy handed so I'll problerly end up needing a new one [emoji30] Lol
Pull the relay out. Tap it with a hard screwdriver handle or similar a few times then refit and test. Sometimes they stick and you can free them up. It won't last forever but will give you time to find a good replacement.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Monty my toggle switch is position one is side lights, position two is headlights, no main beam just the flash on the indicator stalk.

Hi brad sounds like you have a similar problem to me. All vans have side lights , low beam, high beam and flash I think you need to investigate pal

Yeah I know, but it hasn't bothered me for 7 years so I'll live with it rather than toy with electrickery!.

Latest posts