Reversing light switch ??

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j.nathan

Reaction score
Where does the reversing light switch fit on the gearbox of my 69?
I'm thinking of fitting these but want to know if my gearbox will accept a switch.

Should be a blanking plug in the side of the box - front left side. There may even be a switch already in there.

http://www.vwheritage.com/bbt/Stock-Aircooled/VW-Camper-Van-Parts/Bus-Parts-1968-79/Gearbox-Clutch/Gearbox-Parts/?srchPart=211%2D941%2D521" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

part 28a

This is something i'm going to be doing this week sometime, i've bought the switch already and currently have a reverse light wired onto a manual switch but will re-wire to suit the new switch.
The only issue i can see is a clearance one as where the switch screwqs into the gerbox is right next to a conduit so i might have to adjust (read bend) the conduit but shouldn't cause any issues.
If i remember i will try and take some photos.

I have a 1970 Westfalen imported from the US. It came with reversing lights but they have been wired up as indicators. I have fitted red & Amber rear oval lights which incorporate the stop/tail & indicator bulbs etc. I intend to make use of the fitted white rear light units for reversing lights. I have had a look at the gearbox but cannot find any reverse light switch. There is what looks like a hexagon plug on the front left hand side of the gearbox. If I remove this will I be able to just screw in a new reverse light switch & connect up the necessary wiring to get fully auotomatic reverse lights? Thanks for your help. Mike

racecarmike said:
I have a 1970 Westfalen imported from the US. It came with reversing lights but they have been wired up as indicators. I have fitted red & Amber rear oval lights which incorporate the stop/tail & indicator bulbs etc. I intend to make use of the fitted white rear light units for reversing lights. I have had a look at the gearbox but cannot find any reverse light switch. There is what looks like a hexagon plug on the front left hand side of the gearbox. If I remove this will I be able to just screw in a new reverse light switch & connect up the necessary wiring to get fully auotomatic reverse lights? Thanks for your help. Mike

Yes

79d7d3bdc74aad8ec6d894aace5c57e3.png

Here’s a pic ... don’t over tighten it though it’ll crush the contacts in the switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts