Crank pulley keeps coming loose

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

68 obe

Reaction score
The engine is a 2110cc, i got it secondhand. I have a build sheet for it so I can answer most questions as to what's been done to it.

It has an unknown make equaliser pulley on it and it keeps coming loose.
I've replaced the crankshaft woodruff key, nut and bolt with new (stock) items.
I torqued it up to 35Ibs ft (I believe this is the correct torque).

Any ideas what is wrong? What's causing the pulley to come loose?
Could the pulley itself be worn?
Would fitting a normal (non equaliser) pulley solve the problem as I've read it's common for the heavier pulleys to work themselves loose.
The flywheel has been off and has been refitted and torqued up correctly.

I just hope its nothing serious, any help or advice is much appreciated

Is it possible that when you torque it up, that it is just tightening itself and not the pulley? Torque him up and put a vertical permanent marker line on vertically. Then take the pulley off and torque it again without the pulley, is it in a the same place ? Or measure it or put a large washer or two on it to make it tighten on the pulley. Reckon it might be torqued but not tight on the pulley.

Ozziedog,,,,, ,, lets hope its an easy one. :mrgreen:

What kind of pulley bolt is it? I have a Gene Berg equaliser pulley that would come loose from time to time. It was just a generic long pulley bolt even with a small drop of loctite it would come loose. Splashed out on a proper Berg dual washer pulley bolt, problem solved.

Thanks for the replies. Ozziedog i will try that over the weekend and see how I get on.
I got the pulley bolt and washer from vw heritage, it's just a standard one nothing fancy.
Where did you get the gene berg dual washer pulley bolt from? I can't find any UK suppliers.

68 obe said:
Thanks for the replies. Ozziedog i will try that over the weekend and see how I get on.
I got the pulley bolt and washer from vw heritage, it's just a standard one nothing fancy.
Where did you get the gene berg dual washer pulley bolt from? I can't find any UK suppliers.

From Gene Berg direct in the states.

Assuming your 82mm crank is Chinese make sure the pulley doesn't just slip on - a common problem, sometimes exaserbated by Chinese pulleys with oversized bores! Yes, the Berg bolt/2 washer set up with Loctite works. Try Limebug Ltd for one.

Latest posts