Best headlight units for 71

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slippy8v

Reaction score
Just got our 71 through the MOT but it was touch and go as the headlight beam pattern was not good, we had cleaned the lens and reflector and fitted new bulbs but made little differenc,e the current lights are Hella units, what else is out there that will give the correct beam pattern.

The standard Hella lights should be fine, providing they are the correct RHD units, the bulbs are fitted correctly, and the lenses are set properly within the fixtures (i.e. not twisted round in any way).

Perhaps you could post a photo of your current set up, so we can see what's wrong?

I have read that MK2 Golf ones fit, although I'm not sure of the exact technical details as I have not converted mine yet.

cunning plan said:
I have read that MK2 Golf ones fit, although I'm not sure of the exact technical details as I have not converted mine yet.

Unless it's a US import, these don't fit a '71, as the stock headlamp bowls don't have the 3 tabs that they mount to welded in. Late bay isn't a problem.

Rhodrich said:
cunning plan said:

Unless it's a US import, these don't fit a '71, as the stock headlamp bowls don't have the 3 tabs that they mount to welded in. Late bay isn't a problem.

Ah, okay.

Do they fit if you weld in the tabs? I would assume so? :popcorn:

Welding in the tabs is an option - read this thread for the lowdown....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=323108

was speaking to a fellow bay owner at the weekend they had the same problem, so we are putting it down to the lack of light from the bulbs.

I fitted a pair of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-P45T-R2-H5-to-P43T-H4-BULB-ADAPTERS-OPEL-VW-RENAULT-VOLVO-BEETLE-PORSCHE-/182495255769?hash=item2a7d909cd9:g:xjUAAOSwrhBZA00M

Then you can fit any type of H4 lamps you want. Plenty of choice then for light output. Note, you will need to remove the shield in the headllight. H4 bulbs don't need them.

Latest posts