Mechanical oil pressure gauge

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

68 obe

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has fitted a mechanical (capillary) oil pressure gauge to their camper.

Where did you run the pipe?

Does it leak or have any other problems?

How to you stop the oil running back and emptying the pipe when the engine isn't running?

I'm thinking of running one. At the moment I have a vdo electronic gauge and I'm not sure how accurate it's reading ( I've heard they're not the most relible and can give false readings) I've also been told the capillary gauges are a lot more accurate.

Any advice about oil pressure gauges would be great

Ive got an oil pressure gauge - very accurate and runs off a sender unit positioned in the old oil switch location (also VDO)
Havent seen a capillary gauge installed in a bus before - probably due to the length of oil pipe you would need.

I personally wouldn’t do it, the pressure drop you’ll get along a capillary tube that long will surely give false readings at the gauge end. Stick with an electronic type.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you both for the reply.
I think I'll stick with the electronic vdo gauge, maybe I'll change the sender and see if that makes a difference to the readings I'm getting

I bought a gauge on this forum from someone, that goes in the engine compartment.
You install it with the sender unit on a T piece facing backwards so you can read it.
Yes I know its in the engine but with the electronic one up front you are able to pop round
the back and check the difference , also when manually revving the motor.
The problem is I can't find who sold it to me. :oops: However if memory serves me , K@rlos also
ordered one and he might be able to help.
They are really nice ,small , very discreet and good quality. Just a thought.

J & P
:D :D :D

We have a "Sunpro" one fitted to a "T" piece off the oil sender switch, bought a long piece of tube off ebay, it runs the length of the bus following the wiring loom and up into the cab to the gauge, works fine no leaks, no pressure drop i know this because i have also have a gauge fitted to the engine

gas1man said:
I bought a gauge on this forum from someone, that goes in the engine compartment.
You install it with the sender unit on a T piece facing backwards so you can read it.
Yes I know its in the engine but with the electronic one up front you are able to pop round
the back and check the difference , also when manually revving the motor.
The problem is I can't find who sold it to me. :oops: However if memory serves me , K@rlos also
ordered one and he might be able to help.
They are really nice ,small , very discreet and good quality. Just a thought.

J & P
:D :D :D

Just use an electronic gauge mate, as said you'll loose pressure in the pipe resulting in inaccurate readings and it's also another potential leak.

As gasman said yes I do have 1 of those engine bay gauges but I only use that when running up engines and doing cam burns. I only use Autometer gauges, pricey yes but they are spot on accurate.

A friend of mine lost an engine after the mechanical gauge on the engine sprung a large leak...

I've never had a problem with the electronic gauges - so long as the reading is consistent, it doesn't matter as to the actual numbers... I just make sure my gauge is always reading 2-3bar at motorway speeds (iirc). Anything less (or more when the engine has warmed up), and I know something is up.

Thanks for all the responses.
I'm not going to replace my vdo gauge with a mechanical one.
I did temporarily run the mechanical gauge (just had it in the engine bay) along side the electrical one to see the difference.
There was little to no difference, so I'm keeping my vdo gauge.
So the gauge isn't my problem........

Latest posts