Stuff in oil change..

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hilly_70

Reaction score
Long story short ..

Stripping my engine (stock) for some issues and noticed bits in the oil .. initially thought it was aluminium but the more I look at it, it seems more black and is a bit like bakealite (if peeps remember that stuff!)

Any way .. its not valve stem seals as ive seen them before , but it does look like its from a rounded shape..

Im thinking debris from an old fuel pump insert as the one on there looks new..

Is there anythink else in the case made from similar stuff?

Can I rebuild tops ends without splitting further?

WHat do you think

Hilly

You probably right if it is bakelite - the fuel pump pedestal could have cracked and made its way into the engine.
Doubt it would have caused much damage
Ive rebuilt my top end replacing all the pistons and got the barrel rehoned without splitting the block
What are the other issues you are having?

It was a recently rebuilt engine from my beetle (done prior to me getting it)

Not run for a while and when i checked it it had low compression on no2..

Found top end to be mainly clean, however head bolts i could undo with my fingers!..

:mrgreen: I think you got it on the head there. Whats the worse thing that can happen if you don`t ?? Possibly block an oil gallery maybe, but I think you`d have to be unlucky. Plus how long has it been running like this and when was this pump pedestal replaced last ? Is it still the same pedestal because if it is, then you have a bit of an educated guess on how much is missing and how much you`ve found,

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,worth a look at :mrgreen:

Thanks Ozziedog ..

The pedestal in is a new one with no damage so I guess its a historical thing..

I have got the engine out and the top end off so I can give it a good flush out on the bench .. So hopefully all will be good!

Hilly

Hilly_70 said:
Thanks Ozziedog ..

The pedestal in is a new one with no damage so I guess its a historical thing..

I have got the engine out and the top end off so I can give it a good flush out on the bench .. So hopefully all will be good!

Hilly

Maybe have a whiz around inside with an airline too. I'm thinking out loud now but what's the worst that could happen if you get your cooler off and give it a real good seeing too with a hose pipe then an airline and immediately swill it round with some oil ?

Ozziedog,,,, worth a thought I guess :mrgreen:

Well...

The engine is stripped down completely now .. found lateral play in the thrust bearing so just going the whole hog on a rebuild over the winter.

Studs look finenow its stripped but thanks for recommending :)

Hilly

Latest posts