Squeaking sliding door

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zcat7

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Crossover
I've got a really annoying squeak, like a chirruping, that has started at the side slider. My wife has pushed against the door at the rear causing the note to change but I've WD40d the rear catch, rear levers etc atop no avail. Any ideas? It's driving me nuts now...

Not sure if you know but WD40 isn`t a real lubricant , you can get 3:1 oil in regular cans or in spray cans and that`s oil. WD40 is something else. Plus I`d check the cover hasn`t moved as that could cause this sort of noise. Check your othwer rollers too.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,Tracking squeaks is soul destroying till you find it then its YES ! :mrgreen:

Fair point Ozziedog. "Water Displacement" is the acronym I believe and I have noticed that it doesn't tend to last long when used as a lubricant. I usually mention that it's not a great penetrating oil to free up rusty bolts and that you should use a dedicated anti-sieze oil too!

The middle slider is definitely good as I refurbed it all recently but the top and bottom rollers could need lookking at. Also in refurbing that middle roller I would have disturbed the track cover so I'd better check that...

Thanks!

Another thing worth looking at, and it means laying in the dirt I'm afraid. It seems that with just about any adjustment at all , even unintentionally ^^^like that, but any adjustment can make the door drop a zillionth (metric that is) so have a lie on the deck with door ajar and check for any rub marks. Most sliders ran out of adjustment a decade or so ago, so it may mean shimming under the bottom roller. You can sometimes also check by leaving a sheet of paper in the middle of the doorway folded so half in van and half down the side, shut the door. Can you slide the paper up and down the opening along the floor?

Ozziedog,,,,,,, silly one might be worth a peep :mrgreen:

I'll try and take a look this weekend. Thanks mate!

Latest posts