Alternative Seats

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrs hoskins

Reaction score
What other alternatives are there, I've tried Saab , but too high . Mazda and MG ? Or anything else . I'd prefer to stay with the original but age and a bad back means I need something different, without altering the mounting frame etc.

Porsche' tombstones (I wish) :lol: or Mazda MX5 with speakers in the head rests, I believe the bases are very thin
but are still comfortable. Good luck.

J & P
:D :D :D

Quite a few peeps on various forums seem to be mentioning MX5 seats. I haven't tried them myself or seen them in the flesh so to speak, but there might be something in it if I've heard it mentioned quite a few times. Just read a thread on the Late Bay and the poster was on the look for MX5 seats. I've been not quite so comfy on some of the journeys this last year or so, so maybe I should have a look myself.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, speakers in headrests? Will I need a radio too? :lol:

Thanks chaps, the MX5 seems to get a lot of mentions . I'm not really keen on going off the original seats , but by back is thinking otherwise .....so it's new seats ( and power steering😱) and use the bus.....or leave original and just sit and look at it ...no contest. Anyone off to Cropredy next week ?

Have you refurbished your OG seats ?

The reason I ask is that I didn't on my previous van and found them really uncomfortable but this time round I replaced the faulty springs and the padding and haven't had any issue what so ever, even after 1000's of miles.

The seats were refurbished inc springs and foam about five years ago, and are in great nick. My problem is I need something with a bit more adjustment . It's not entirely about the comfort , more about the driving position , for example I've just had a mate turn me an extended aluminium boss for my steering wheel which raises it aabout 2 inches , and has helped a lot. Also my wife wants headrests .....Nuff said 😂👍

mrs hoskins said:
The seats were refurbished inc springs and foam about five years ago, and are in great nick. My problem is I need something with a bit more adjustment . It's not entirely about the comfort , more about the driving position , for example I've just had a mate turn me an extended aluminium boss for my steering wheel which raises it aabout 2 inches , and has helped a lot. Also my wife wants headrests .....Nuff said 😂👍

Fair enough 8)

I also use a vintage classic car wicker style lumber support for longer journeys plus replaced my seats with Wolfsburg West seat pads opposed to foam as per the factory for longevity.

Mike

A few years ago I helped a mate fit a pair of leather MX5 seats to his late bay, looked good & very comfy.
I rebuilt a pair of sierra seats in mine minus the headrests again super comfy

Tombstones work really well. If you want some pics of our install let me have an email

I've had Porsche Tombstones in my last 3 T4 vans and they were great. Also had a set from a more modern boxster that were tan leather and had full electric adjustment. If you trawl Porsches being broken on ebay you'll find cheap ones eventually. Paid £100 a pair for all the tombstones (928 and 924) and about £250 for the Boxster seats (996 IIRC)

Also worth considering some T25 seats? The later ones may have the adjustment you want and you can retrofit T25 / Late bay runners on your tubs.

Thanks for that , I've just bought a pair of mx5 seats , but they still sit higher than the originals ( unless I do some major surgery to the tub) so the T25 idea sounds good.

A friend has just listed these for sale.

https://en.shpock.com/i/WY674aZP43gSE1wc/?fb_action_ids=10213666181671532&fb_action_types=shpock_app%3Asell&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%5B1265191510270894%5D&action_type_map=%5B"shpock_app%3Asell"%5D&action_ref_map=%5B%5D

Not a bad price - in Leeds. Sure he would take an offer on them too! Would be happy to collect and store or put on a pallet if you wanted them.

I've fitted mark 2 MR2 seats : very comfy : there's a post here somewhere on which brackets to fit :

Latest posts