Advice/diagnosis needed

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigbear

Reaction score
So, I've travelled from Kent to longleat, longleat to brixham, got a few days here before heading to Newquay, when I arrived at longleat my rear main seal had given up again, I only replaced it a few months back and it's been bone dry until now, also the rear of the bus was covered in small oil splatters, checked the oil and it's obviously dropped a bit but I'm convinced it smells slightly of petrol, (although I need a second opinion on this)which is a concern. Am I headed for disaster or can I resolve the issue with minimal tools etc before setting off to Newquay? I'm gonna give her a clean down and then check the oil breather this evening, anything else worth checking?

If its your main seal behind the flywheel then its engine out, if its leaking bad it may effect your clutch, as for the smell of petrol in the oil the usual suspect is the fuel pump, you may need a new pump, hopefully someone on the forum who lives down that neck of the woods can get you some help
CornishSilver lives down that way send him a PM he may be able to help
PS if you do replace the pump get the correct one, theres one for engines with dynamos (old Type) and ones with alternators, the push rod under the pump is a different length
Good Luck

vinvan said:
If its your main seal behind the flywheel then its engine out, if its leaking bad it may effect your clutch, as for the smell of petrol in the oil the usual suspect is the fuel pump, you may need a new pump, hopefully someone on the forum who lives down that neck of the woods can get you some help
PS if you do replace the pump get the correct one, theres one for engines with dynamos (old Type) and ones with alternators, the push rod under the pump is a different length
Good Luck
Yeah I know it's engine out job, I've replaced it about 4 times in last 2 years (mainly due to shite retro parts!) I just don't wanna be doing it again when there's something else causing it to give up. I've just checked the oil breather and it seems clear. Is there anything else to check? I'm thinking it's getting pressurised and the flywheel seal is the quickest & easiest way out. Engine bay is clean by the way.

vinvan said:
Good Luck

You would not believe this, but I have just got in from swapping over my fuel pump for the same reason and we are heading to Kent in a couple of days :lol:

I got a best quality one from Heritage on a next day so if you have an address for delivery that would be my advise. Much better than the crap the engine builder put on my brand new engine :evil: Pisses me off just to save £20 when someones dropped a lot of money for some reliability.

You have a few options if you need a mechanic in Plymouth in this order of recommendation. Graham Rawspeed engine tuning, Doug Quayside vw or Rob Colebrook transporters. you have Evil bens at Truro too. Good luck and have a nice holiday

could also be the carb needle and seat , I have twin carbs and one carb the needle was u/s fitted the sump with fuel.

Two main things with petrol in your oil. First is fuel pump diaphragm, and this is likely because we have extremely crap rubber in just about everything to do with old busses. Option number two is about fuel getting into the motor through the carb\s and that`s into the needle and seat sealing and the float maintaining it`s level, if these ain`t happening then you got a chance of fuel getting in through your carbs.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Clean noisey cupboard ?? HHhhmmmpp :mrgreen:

CornishSilver said:
vinvan said:
Good Luck

You would not believe this, but I have just got in from swapping over my fuel pump for the same reason and we are heading to Kent in a couple of days :lol:

I got a best quality one from Heritage on a next day so if you have an address for delivery that would be my advise. Much better than the crap the engine builder put on my brand new engine :evil: Pisses me off just to save £20 when someones dropped a lot of money for some reliability.

You have a few options if you need a mechanic in Plymouth in this order of recommendation. Graham Rawspeed engine tuning, Doug Quayside vw or Rob Colebrook transporters. you have Evil bens at Truro too. Good luck and have a nice holiday

Cheers mate, luckily I carry I spare pump with me. When I get to Newquay I'll swap it over and hopefully that'll sort it. Would fuel in the oil cause the rear main seal to keep giving up on me?

If you're going through them that quickly I'd be starting to look at your end float, you may have some ovality in your bearings.

Happystamps said:
If you're going through them that quickly I'd be starting to look at your end float, you may have some ovality in your bearings.

''' Ovality'''

Wooooo hoooooo, now that is a word that is some word. You alright bud, are you off to any events later on this year ? Thinking about action and I gotta sort some tickety things for Busfest, I've left it late again. :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, Wot you up to :mrgreen:

Hello mate :)
I've been thinking about Action too... got a really nice dilemma on that one. I've just bought an MX5 for my commute to work as it was killing the van (and as soon as I put a deposit down, old Ratty gave me a rumbling rear bearing by way of thanks) so do I:

1- take Ratty to Action, I've always wanted to go and it'd be great to see everyone. Plus I suspect I owe you a beer or two.
2- take the MX5 on a tour of the lakes with some Triumph enthusiast friends, who despite all expectations are about 50% attractive women. I don't understand it, but I did see a boob last time. I guess having never been to action, I should enquire as to whether or not I'm likely to see 1+ boob there before I make my decision. Got to do the maths, you see.

Busfest I think I'll do at the very least :)

Other than that, I moved to Birmingham with the mrs., she's got work up here now so I don't have to live in the van any more. Not that I didn't enjoy it, but it's really nice putting your trousers on while standing up, and I'd been made homeless by a hornet twice when in the van.
Work wise, working in Coventry, designing the brake system for the new london taxi :) God knows how that happened, but there we are.
How's tricks with you?

[/quote]

Cheers mate, luckily I carry I spare pump with me. When I get to Newquay I'll swap it over and hopefully that'll sort it. Would fuel in the oil cause the rear main seal to keep giving up on me?
[/quote]

Sorry man your asking the wrong guy, I'm at the beginning of my learning curve. If you've had it out and changed it a few times already you know way more than me :oops:

[/quote]

Sorry man your asking the wrong guy, I'm at the beginning of my learning curve. If you've had it out and changed it a few times already you know way more than me :oops:
[/quote]

Rubbers,
We all are getting extremely pissed off with shit rubbers and I don't know who to blame. You can buy the absolute best stuff you can think of and still sometimes you get shit rubber. I would hate to be repairing for a living because this is part of a daily recurring nightmare. As far as petrol in the oil causing pump diaphragm problems??? It is possible but doesn't seem likely. We know modern fuel can eat rubber in months if it's not the correct rubber, we know that fuel in the oil is gonna be a small amount compared to the fuel in the pipes and pump etc so it seems unlikely but is it possible that the combo of vicious modern fuel mixed with oil mixed with shit rubber is a concoction we haven't come up against yet ???
I'm going with Senor Simon on this and check for not being round the next time you're in there and there's two surfaces to check mostly and check where the ring sits too, this could be interesting as in how close would you normally check ?

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, Rubbers used to be about fun! :mrgreen:

Ok,,, I'm on the trail of a Busfest ticket, the Earlybay club camping bit is most excellent and should be awash with Stella and alcohol of various descriptions, well it is in my bus anyway. Yes you are right about the maths but lightning strikes etc etc. I can't comment on Action because I don't been there yet so boobs are nil from that perspective. But rock up with us at Busfest and I'd love to see Mr Ratty in the flesh as it were and your company will be far more welcomed than bringing me any beer. Glad you are no longer semi homeless, I used to live in a J2 camper years ago and it's ok and great and crap and every other thing too.

Ozziedog,,,,,,catch you soon :mrgreen:

Latest posts