Replace VW sender unit fuel tank

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejinx

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see a lot online saying cut an excess hole above the sender unit. I really don't want to do this but many seem to think it is the norm and apparently back in the day the dealer would have done just that to do the job. Thoughts please, thank you.

If cutting an excess panel is indeed the thing to do are there any measurements for hole positioning.

no way! lump out fix, back in... my mate and I turned this around in just over an hr

I cut the access panel! Will be putting a modified type 25 access panel in too over the winter!!
Didnt have the time to remove the tow bar, bumper, carbs, engine, firewall, drain tank, disconnect and remove tank to replace the sender.
Just cut a small access hole, replaced sender, reattached new hatch piece and covered in sound deadening material.

my last bay had it cut out and although handy there is NO way I would do it on my current one. Handy if you have a leaky fuel filler hose or breather hose as you rear occupants will be able to smell it straight away, perhaps just before they are ignited. Fit a proper hatch if you really have to, but for the sake of dropping the engine, no thanks, not worth it!

Latest posts