Gearbox selector issues, wheels turning in neutral

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharman

Reaction score
Coming to the end of the resto, installed a 1776 engine coupled with a upgraded box freeway flyer style. Also treat the camper to a bug-tech shifter. That's when I started to have issues. I'd already checked the long through rod and changed a couple of bushes. I'd also changed the gear coupling for an empi red piece of shit beforehand.
Anyway, fitted the bug-tech shifter which looks brilliant but felt like I could only find a couple of gears. Virtually no adjustment on the shifter. Raised the back end up to get wheels off ground to be on the safe side and fired her up. Depressed clutch and tried to select gears what I thought were 1>2. Unfortunately every time I raised the clutch the wheels turned when it felt like neutral??
Adjusted the height of the ball up and down and tension on the clutch wingnut. Also changed the empi coupling for an original one, but made no difference. Changed the shifter out and put the original worn one back in. Struggled to get anywhere with this too, and again the wheels turned with what definitely felt neutral, but they stopped turning when I pushed the clutch pedal?? Also failed to get anywhere near reverse lol
I'm getting fed up now and looking for advice or help. Shit scared its the gearbox. I've seen the gear rod go in/out of the nosecone. What the hell am I doing wrong?? Please save my sanity.

Just had a bit of google search and read it's normal for wheels to turn in neutral on axle stands due to oil viscosity and inertia which makes sense, still Ain't got the ball to try and stop it with my foot though when I think it's in neutral.

Yep perfectly normal if not a little disconcerting when you first notice it!

sharman said:
Just had a bit of google search and read it's normal for wheels to turn in neutral on axle stands due to oil viscosity and inertia which makes sense, still Ain't got the ball to try and stop it with my foot though when I think it's in neutral.

There's no torque behind it, you can stop it with a finger.

Totally normal, it's the same effect as a torque converter in an automatic. As sparky says you can stop it with your finger

Cheers guys, gonna have another go at fitting the shifter today. Feel better for knowing this is normal. Just feel like most of the time the camper is testing me👹

sharman said:
Cheers guys, gonna have another go at fitting the shifter today. Feel better for knowing this is normal. Just feel like most of the time the camper is testing me👹

That my friend is also '''' Normal. ''' :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,, ,,,,, I think we all get like that :mrgreen:

Still struggling with the gears, yet to find reverse both with bug tech and standard. Well peed off! Any tips?

Latest posts