Throttle cable sparking on carb

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean1

Reaction score
Anyone ever had there throttle cable sparking against the linkage before? Obviously I have a short somewhere just where to look 👀

Thanks! Could be anything but we all know which ever end I start looking it will be the opposite oddly it's always the last place you look ;) :lol:

Just put a new one on but I guess it might not be earthing correctly👍

If you have an auto choke , possibly the power to the shut off solenoid?
The thingy that stops you engine from running on?

J & P

If you have your wires neatly clipped to the fan housing, I think that would be worth a butchers. All the earths are worth a look especially if ones been changed recently, as if something has been changed, there is usually a reason for it. So , what made you change the earth then ?

Ozziedog, ,,,,,,, good answers gang.

ozziedog said:
If you have your wires neatly clipped to the fan housing, I think that would be worth a butchers. All the earths are worth a look especially if ones been changed recently, as if something has been changed, there is usually a reason for it. So , what made you change the earth then ?

I bought the bus without a engine or gearbox it was pretty cheap and just couldn't say no to it, anyway got my engine and gearbox in and just thought it made sense to use new earth straps ect I'm pretty new to the aircooled/vw world saying that it's been a year since buying my late bay project all I've done is weld and replace on them both until recently. I don't know if some of the things are common ect so it's worth an ask I'm sure, by day I'm a diesel mechanic by night a vw restorer ;) :lol: :lol:

Sean1 said:
ozziedog said:

I bought the bus without a engine or gearbox it was pretty cheap and just couldn't say no to it, anyway got my engine and gearbox in and just thought it made sense to use new earth straps ect I'm pretty new to the aircooled/vw world saying that it's been a year since buying my late bay project all I've done is weld and replace on them both until recently. I don't know if some of the things are common ect so it's worth an ask I'm sure, by day I'm a diesel mechanic by night a vw restorer ;) :lol: :lol:

So really and truly you should have been smart enough to run a mile when you was offered one of these :lol: As you`re in the trade you`ll understand why I asked about the reason for the earth strap change. Any luck with finding it yet ? Wonder if it`s worth a look under the carpet or near the accelorator linkages etc under the front of the floor pan .

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,, It`ll look great at night :mrgreen:

My early is better than the late no were near as much rust on it to be honest all it's really needed is a new rear corner,inner valance, front chassis repair and a sliding door skin.

I have (I think) it was the horn seems to of stopped now iv taken it off 👍

You've got two sources of power on the carb, the choke and the fuel cutoff. There are no return wires, they earth through the engine & earth straps. If they're not earthing through the engine properly, they'll try to earth through the throttle cable (or the throttle cable itself is carrying power- much less likely, but disconnect the cable, pull it through to under the gearbox and test for power on it).

Sean1 said:
My early is better than the late no were near as much rust on it to be honest all it's really needed is a new rear corner,inner valance, front chassis repair and a sliding door skin.

I have (I think) it was the horn seems to of stopped now iv taken it off 👍

Not sure if you know (probably) but the horns on these have a permanent live feed and switch to earth to activate. The amount of bodges around the bottom of the column to make the horn work is entertaining. Plus a lot of the rubber flexi connectors at the bottom of the column are made very poorly and power through instead of insulating. Soul destroying if the PO has been replacing things to sort it and you get beaten by iffy replacements.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, just a thought because you might need a horn :mrgreen:

I'll need the horn when it's on fire to tell people to move!! ill keep searching just to be sure and see if the throttle cables live but I guess I'll be having fun checking everything for bare wires I hate wiring!

Sean1 said:
I'll need the horn when it's on fire to tell people to move!! ill keep searching just to be sure and see if the throttle cables live but I guess I'll be having fun checking everything for bare wires I hate wiring!

You and me both. Lecky tricks are a dark art, something between wizardry, sorcery and witchcraft. It's because you can't see it moving I think. If you get really stuck, I'll ask Mrs Ozziedog to cast a spell when she is next meeting with the ' coven '.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, only a very brave throttle cable would defy Mrs Ozziedog :mrgreen: