Crank Shaft Timing Gear Problem

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raggles

Reaction score
Made a bit of a cock up of fitting the timing gear to the crankshaft. It must have cooled quicker than I was expecting, as although it slid over pretty comfortably it has seated about 2.5mm from the seating ledge above the bearing. Any suggestions? I tried putting a piece of pipe over the top and giving it a bash, but no movement.

I don't suppose anyone based in central London has a gear puller I might borrow? I am based in SE1.

Get some heat on it and then give it a gently 'persuade' and it'll move down.
I've got a Dewalt heat gun, use something like that to warm it right up and the gear will expand, allowing it to move

mr scoops said:
Get some heat on it and then give it a gently 'persuade' and it'll move down.
I've got a Dewalt heat gun, use something like that to warm it right up and the gear will expand, allowing it to move
Thanks mr scoops. Does this work? ... or is it a suggestion to try?

I had presumed it would be in effect be heating both the gear and shaft, causing both to expand rather than just the gear itself?

I'm pretty sure, and someone will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong, that the gear expands more than the crank.

Yep ... used a blow torch to apply heat and then some gentle persuasion - wouldn't move at all. I am concerned about applying too much welly as I doubt the crank was made to take that kind of impact. I think I will see if I can't source a gear puller and try again.

Latest posts