Setting end float on a brand new engine build.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr scoops

Reaction score
I am building a complete new Type 1 engine for my Early Bay.
New crank, new flywheel, new pulley, new case, new bearings....... you get the idea.

So. I've measured the endplay with the flywheel torqued up.

I have 1.41mm total end play.

Should be 0.07 to 0.13mm if I'm right in thinking.

Aiming for mid tolerance (0.10mm) so I need to get to 1.31mm.

However, you need to get to the number using 3 shims. Max thickness is 0.36mm, so three of these gives me 1.08mm, leaving .23mm.

It has been suggested that I use 4 shims.

Advice needed.

Just realised I'd not fitted the gasket between the flywheel and the end of the crank.
My head has turned to mush trying to sort this!
Is this my problem?

I do not use any gasket between the flywheel and the crank. Only the oring on the flywheel oiled up so it does not chew the oring on instalation.
How did you measure the endplay? Dial gauge? That sounds a bit too much, but sometimes if the flywheel has been machined it can happen. Nothing wrong with using four shims if this is really what is needed.
Abel

I have had the flywheel (and bottom end) balanced so that could explain it.
I'm going to go with 4 shims.
Now, next question. When I fit the shims, then the crankshaft oil seal, is there an large o-ring that goes in as well?

The reason there is an odd number of shims is do with counter rotation causing wear as far as I am aware. So surely 5 shims would need to be used?

There's an o-ring that sits in a groove machined into the bore of the flywheel, where the dowel pin holes are.

Sent from my Swift 2 using Tapatalk

rlepecha said:
The reason there is an odd number of shims is do with counter rotation causing wear as far as I am aware. So surely 5 shims would need to be used?

There's an o-ring that sits in a groove machined into the bore of the flywheel, where the dowel pin holes are.

Sent from my Swift 2 using Tapatalk
There should be virtually no wear on the flywheel surface unless you run the engine with no oil, so the reason why you need one more shim could be an aftermarket crank or a re machined flywheel. Balancing the rotating assembly does not re machine them, it just grinds material from key places in order to balance the weight.
Abel

All sorted. I needed to use 4 shims, and was advised by Dan Simpson along with the company that build the engines for Heritage.
Endplay measured at 0.08mm
Should have been 0.1mm but I'm guessing the oil between each shim etc made up the overall 0.02mm

Latest posts