Problem removing CV shafts

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slow-lane-Matt

Reaction score
I replaced boots on left side of bus a few years back - no problems.

Now doing the right side. I can undo the bolts on wheel side no problem with M8 splined tool, but can't
get the tool to bite any of the inner gearbox side bolts.

I've cleaned with WD40 and brushed so don't think it's grit.

The tool almost fits, so I think the next size down would be too small, and would seem unlikely
to have different sized bolts on inner and outer...

Has anyone ever seen M6 spline bolts on a bus...

Do the bolts deform after a while...?

I'm reluctant to hammer the spline tool in.

I tried mole grips around the outside - but bolts too tight to budge

Am I missing something....?

Thanks

Matt

They may be hex headed bolts than splined ones (had this on mine)
Safest bet is to order a new set and get the old ones out any which way you can (vice grips or hammered in splined tool) :)

Because my eyesight is a little suspect with age, and sometimes getting your head in somewhere to see as well as getting a light on the subject at the same time plus keeping your reading glasses on and in position, all this gets worse with age. If you aren't sure, bang in your smarties type phone and bang out a zillion pictures with the camera bit then sit down with a nice cup of coffee and have a real close look at what you are dealing with, you can even hold a tool next to it so you have a good idea if it's somewhere near size wise or if it needs a splined or an Allen tool or any of the more modern fixings available nowadays.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, might help next time. :mrgreen:

Latest posts