Yet another engine problem!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BRAD

Reaction score
Everything is going wrong lately and the list is getting longer :(

Now I have condensation on the carb and frost on the inlet, both are freezing :cry:

Had a look, removed carb, fitted new gasket, couldn't fit spacer as it made the studs not long enough :evil:
Ran it, it was fine for about three minutes, then high pitched whistling and freezing cold even after ten minutes of idle.

wtf :?:

I'm thinking blocked heat riser or something.

Your heat risers are indeed what helps to stop the carb from icing up. They should be pretty warm to the touch along their entire length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The heat risers especially at the left schould be damm hot!
What kind of air cleaner are you using, aftermarket or stock?
The stock system is able to suck up some warm air if all the stuff for that is present, crappy aftermarket are prone to carb freezing during the colder days.

Are the heat riser pipes clear of carbon build up ?

All stock oil bath DH 8)

Yes Sam I think the risers are blocked badly, it was a job I was hoping to dodge, especially now the weather is turning, after market ones are total shit, so I'll have to unblock mine or find a NOS one.

Bus ownership has become very testing this year :lol:

I'm tempted to just get my engine rebuilt or a CC upgrade but we'll see.

you probably did this already, but hot caustic soda worked v well on my blocked heat risers - observe the mixing & safety rules!! and keep it inside the pipe if poss!! - combin with the old clutch cable in the drill method - so work at the blocked ends with the cable, then fill & soak both ends with the caustic, leave to stand/effervesce!! - then drain, do the cable bit, do the soda again etc
hope that helps!!
Rob

indeed - as I said, beware - as "the mixing and safety rules" stipulate - and "keep it in the pipe" i.e. avoid the external alloy metalwork
take care
Rob

Well as I use mine as a daily driver now days I will not be taking the inlet manifold off any time soon to get it done.

In the mean time I will fit a IMDU something which I have never considered as I would say that isn't resolving the problem just hiding it, we'll see :?

Latest posts