Tuning engine help

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejinx

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a contact in the Swansea or South Wales area who knows how to sort the timing on an air cooled engine. Pulling my hair out can't get it right. Engine runs fine when cold but struggles on hills when warm.

Have you checked you valve clearances? incorrect setting can cause hesitation.
Could be an air leak, check your rubber boots on the manifold.
It could also be a number of other things, what dizzy do you have?

Have you got a timing gun? set it 10 degrees at idle and check 28-30degrees at 3500rpm. valve clearances are done with the engine in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wtNARLdF58" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; watch this, should be clear enough.

Well!! I set valve settings today.

No 1 to tight
No2 just right
Nos 3 and 4 I could have put the entire tool into the gap

It sounds much better now and touch wood drives better. Running a 009 dizzy at the moment still have the stock one may go back to it.

As I said at moment I am running a 009. I see they are meant to be set to 32 degrees. If I understand the clip. I need to loosen dizzy. Mark 32 degrees on my stock pulley. Once done Rev engine and see if 32 degree mark is sat on my timing light and mark. If not turn dizzy anti clockwise until it is. Once there lock down dizzy. Sound right? Cheers

thejinx said:
Well!! I set valve settings today.

No 1 to tight
No2 just right
Nos 3 and 4 I could have put the entire tool into the gap

It sounds much better now and touch wood drives better. Running a 009 dizzy at the moment still have the stock one may go back to it.

As I said at moment I am running a 009. I see they are meant to be set to 32 degrees. If I understand the clip. I need to loosen dizzy. Mark 32 degrees on my stock pulley. Once done Rev engine and see if 32 degree mark is sat on my timing light and mark. If not turn dizzy anti clockwise until it is. Once there lock down dizzy. Sound right? Cheers

i usually set mine to 10 degrees at idle, and then rev it as 009 can run between 28-30 degrees. i have a degree pulley so makes life easy. your getting there though mate.

Used my new timing light today (first time ever used one). Idle timing 10 degrees using 009 dizzy. Not done at 3000 revs at 30 degrees as I don't know how to guess what 3000 revs would be.

Rev it until it stops advancing, obvious when you have the light in it. I thought 7.5 was the normal start point, then rev until it stops which should be 30-32. If not adjust it so it is and then leave.

Then throw the 009 in the bin and get yourself an svda :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Thanks. I have found something stating that 32 degrees is equal to 46.5mm. So if I measure 46.5mm mark then hopefully the mark should be sat at max advance

Ok. Valves set
Timing set
Still loosing power once hot.

I am thinking spark plug gap as I wasn't really ofay with engines when put this together or possibly a lead braking down. Cheap VeeWee parts. Or even the throttle set up wrong and not opening the carb enough

Latest posts