Electrical problem

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budbay6

Reaction score
Hi all my van underesto bodywork mainly, but I periodically start to keep it running
Resently took the dash top off referbed and repainted then just placed on top not fixed back now after a bit of history !
Tried to start the van the other day and reconnected batery turned key oil light on gen light on vdo clock working then as I turn to start all goes off gen oil and fuel gauge go off dead nothing no lights no starter etc then when I turn ignition off oil gen n fuel gauge clock all come back to life ??
Bad earth ??
Any suggestions great fully received

Cheers Adi

Definitely the first place to start.............Earth..
After that start by raising what you put down as it may have pulled /trapped a wire.
Check the wires to the starter/key barrel.
Good luck.

J & P
:D :D :D

Blimey that was quick ! So love this forum ,
Well where do I start with EARTH ? Fitted a new starter cos I thought solinoid had gone
New regulator in case it was that ! Checked all under dash top I'd placed carefully down nothing obviously off touching or pulled off connection wise ???
So I'm still puzzled ??
Help help ??

Cheers Adi

I'd check the powers getting to the starter also the earth between engine/gearbox to body. Also check starter directly to battery with a set of jump leads

As above, sounds very much like a faulty earth. I had the exact same symptoms on a beetle where the earth connection on the battery was not tight. Also had a pal pop over with the same symptoms and he found the earth strap on the gearbox had come loose.

Hi thanks for all your info ! I've got some home work to do know checked barel ing Earth connection that fine going towards earth on batery and starter route and check earth to gearbox !
Will let you know how I get on and started fingers crossed .

Cheers Adi

Well where do I start !
HUSTON WE YOU DONT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH EARTH !
Thanks for all your replies and pointers , every day a school day, after checking all the above & last weekend taking off the earth to gearbox strap and cleaning up and admiering the now shiny German copper and reconnecting then I moved on to the batery earth although not the best looking thing I was happy with its job & connection.
So for those of you reading this for the first time my van under the welding doctor n resto so batery connected now and then just to start up and then back in the garage connected up to a very expensive device that keeps it conditioned and descaled ,etc. So no worries there or so I thought
So after doing all the above and Still no start !Scratching my head connecting the batery up to a test charger only to discover that batery showing 7 v charge ? Opened up dry cells !
So school day lesson if left for long term charge always check fluid levels , new batery second turn of the key we are up & running !
Cheers again peeps
Adi

Latest posts