Heater cables...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_troupster

Reaction score
So.... It's getting near that time of year again.

My heater cables need changing as the last few inches have rusted/broken off. Ive looked on Heritages site and seen a pair will run to around £30. Is it worth trying to repair mine? Anyone tried extending them? Any hints or tips would be appreciated.

Failing that, which cables should i get for my RHD '71? Seems a bit of a mine field with all the types/lengths available.

Cheers
Jim

If your budget can extend to £30 I don't think its worth trying to repair the old ones. If they are original cables they have done well to last 45 years. I'm sure one of the major suppliers will have the information you require.

When you order them, speak to someone at VWH giving your chassis number. They will send you the right ones, as there are plenty to choose from.

I have just tried to change mine. The RH cable came out ok, but the LH cable came out, leaving behind the outer plastic which is stuck in multiple places. They can be difficult to remove and sometimes it is easier to tie-wrap the new cable to the outside of the tube holding the old one. Give it a go, but don't be surprised to find that they are rusted in place.

Latest posts