CP code 091 versus AT code 1303s gearbox

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dready71

Reaction score
I have a 69 deluxe microbus currently running standard gearbox and 1641. As we all know, tendency is :? to run out of revs pretty quick.
I will be fitting a mildly tuned 1911cc type 4 (stateside built) pushing about 105/110 bhp. I have both a CP code 091 box and also an AT code 1303s box.
What do you reckon i would be best running??
The 091 is definately the stronger box but i dont think an 03s box will have much problem handling that increase in power. I also am aware of what is involved in fitting each type.
Your thoughts/opinions please.

I may be sounding like a broken record here, but have you considered a Porsche 5 speed? :D

If not, I'd run the CP gearbox - stronger :)

Personally I would always go for the 091 for strength and ease of fitment since it means you can also keep the vehicle closer to stock.

Unless you use much smaller wheels/tyres than stock, the 091 has all the gearing you need, in fact, TBH, I find the 091 on 185/75/14 tyres to be a bit over geared if anything since its not happy at 30 in top anymore.

Tofufi said:
I may be sounding like a broken record here, but have you considered a Porsche 5 speed? :D

If not, I'd run the CP gearbox - stronger :)

I did have a spare early 911 box when i owned several early 911's. Unfortunately i decided to sell these some years ago, before prices went mental!! I am not in the position to buy such a gearbox now, would prefer to use one of the above boxes that i currently have.

jonboylaw said:
Use the AT and send me the 091 ? :)

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

Was expecting at least one person to say that!
Which ever box i use, i will be keeping the other as spares for my other bay and split and bug.

I run a bug box on my standard 1600 single port with 185/65/15 rubber.
If I can help in any way let me know

Latest posts